1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change And Effect To St3 Final Gearing.........................

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by thebiglad, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Hi guys, I find myself riding this new-to-me 2004 ST3 at between 90 and 110 kph on open roads.

106 kph equates to 4000 rpm in 6th so just very slightly above the minimum comfortable threshold so I was wondering what the impacts would be if I were to change the sprockets front or rear. The rear was already 45t so I thought for the £16 it would cost I would buy and install a 14t front sprocket.

Did the install today - took about 15 mins.

Tools required :

Allen key set

Spanners : 12mm

Sockets : 30mm and 32mm

Electric wizzy gun

Hammer and cold chisel

Small flat-bladed screwdriver

Copper grease.

How it was done :

I started out by putting the bike on the centre stand. Using an appropriate allen key, remove the front sprocket cover.

Using the wizzy gun and the 30 mm socket, slacken the rear axle rhs nut, then slacken off the two 12 mm adjusting bolts. Flatten the lock washer on the front sprocket. Now with the wizzy gun and 32 mm socket slacken the sprocket retaining nut.

You can move the rear wheel forward as far as it will go - this will the chain to slacken off significantly. Once chain is fully slack, remove the front sprocket nut and lock washer; remove the chain from both sprocket; now remove front sprocket.

Now apply copper grease to inside splines of new sprocket plus the splined shaft. Install the new sprocket, lock washer and retaining nut and hand tighten. Using the flat bladed screwdriver reinstall the chain onto the front sprocket, then the rear sprocket. Now pull the rear wheel rearwards, the chain droop will be taken up, the 12 mm tensioning bolts hand tightened and then tension the chain as per the handbook.

Fully tighten the front sprocket nut with the wizzy gun; tighten the rear wheel axle retain nut and finally the tensioning bolts.

Reinstall the front sprocket cover.

2004 Ducati ST3 gearing :

15/42 just now;

4000 rpm gives 106 kph (66.25 mph)

New front sprocket fitted today 14T, so 14/42 gives :

4000rpm gives 105 kph (65.62 mph)

What are the effects/changes of this little mod?

The effective gear ratios including 6th are all much more usable. In this one respect the bike feels more user friendly. I whip her up into 6th like everything is normal; riding in traffic is easier; fast progress is more accessible. All for £15 !!

#1 thebiglad, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I think, in general, Ducatis come from the factory over geared. I think that for every one that I've had, I lower the gearing by going up a few teeth at the back and maybe one less at the front. It makes them more lively!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Personally I find 6th gear more of an overdrive and at 65mph I would be using 5th gear ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Still in 2nd me :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hi Michel, mine was the same, but rightly or wrongly I wanted to use 6th more often. Later today I'll be going on a longer run to check out overall performance a bit more and will report back.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  6. Check on gearingcommander website, will also tell you if you need a longer chain etc.

7. Thanks Michel but already done the change and there's loads of space left, no need for it to be any longer.

8. OK guys, I've done about 100 kms on the new set-up and can now report back about the overall change.

First of all let me say the change is not massive, but it is positive.

1. Moving off in first gear. Less clattering, less clutch slipping, generally smoother;

2. Going up through the gears 2 - 6, generally smoother, more natural.

3. 6th gear more accessible, more often.

Taking into account the speed limit over here on A & B roads is currently 80kph (50mph) most peeps ride at roughly 100kph, so what's important to me is how the bike reacts between about 3000rpm and 6000rpm - and it's better now.

Cheers
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information