1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Changing Rear Shock Absorber

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Denzil the Ducati, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Spent the last two days fettling the 999 and 748 ready for their Mots (both) and for the 999 preparing it for a service and set up by Rich Llewellyn and remap by Chris Steadman. Had to replace the 999 shock as the original was leaking and thought I would post up how easy it is for the benefit of others. The shock was a new OEM Showa from Italy for only £140.

Fitting it took 10 minutes, starting with setting it on an Abba stand with a block to support the rear wheel. Only needed to remove the LH footrest bracket (not the fairings, seat or tail unit) and the rubber cap in the swinging arm. Then removed the bolts at the top and bottom of the shock using a long reach allen bit on a half inch drive socket and extension bar. With a slight wiggle out it came, I cleaned up the rose joint on the ride height adjuster and put the new shock in. The shock preload, damping and rebound settings were set up on the bench before installing it. Finally, torqued it up to 42Nm. Have to say compared to many other bikes it was a piece of p!ss, I thought it would take an hour or two so had some spare time to use Mr Sheen and a rag polishing. What a gorgeous bike the 999 is!

Also this week changed the forks and shock on my 748 and replaced the projector lens in the dipped beam headlight. After 38,600 miles and 15 years, one fork and the shock were leaking and the forks were getting very loose and chattery. I was able to get new TiN forks for £440 and a new Showa shock for £130 from Piricambi in Italy, cheaper than professional rebuilds would have cost. Again the rear shock was a ten minute job just requiring the LH footrest bracket to be off and nothing else (except raising the seat). Forks took longer, with the mudguard, brake callipers, nose and side fairings removed. Then the three fork pinch bolts and two handlebar pinch screws on each leg all took no time and the forks slid straight out of the yolks. Only issue I had was the 28mm AF nut on the front wheel spindle which being quite shallow and soft is easy to damage, new one bought from Luke at Moto Rapido, ordered at 1500 Wednesday and arrived 0900 Thursday, top service as usual from the spares team in Winchester.

Roll on the spring

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. I have no experience of the 999 but can't believe how easy my 748 is to work on, I've had it 7 years now and had most parts of at some time or another, including an engine swap, nothing wrong with the original engine after 32,000 miles but it was upgraded to my current 853 , still have the original as backup if ever it's needed, rambling I know but so easy to work on.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. How much for the nut? I may need one.

Easy huh, love working on both of mine. So easy to get at everything.

4. CR, £9.11 delivered

• Like Like x 1
  5. Actually reasonable

6. Birdie, the 999 has something like a third less bits in it (I can't remember the exact numbers, need to check Cathcart's book) and it is much less cramped/crammed than the 748. I suspect the extra room and less bits means its quicker and easier still, although the battery box is a pile of sh!t.

#6 Denzil the Ducati, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Belts easier on 999 as no battery on the way.

8. CR, over the years I have seen many new OEM bits cheaper from Ducati than second hand on ebay. Always give them a call

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah, 996 indicators for example.

11. Just read your post re new showa shock......where did you find a new shock for 140 dabs??? costs more than that for a rebuild...….I'll ordering one now if they are available.
    cheers Phil D

12. Good to know this thanks. Any idea roughly at what mileage (general dry weather road usage in my case) these things start to leak or deteriorate? Can't say that I have noticed any deterioration over time (now on 22k) - but keen to keep the bike well maintained and spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The 748 was first registered April 02, assembled summer 01 and had done just over 38k mostly dry miles when the fork seal let go, the 748 shock had been weeping for over a year prior to that and was verbally noted to me as just about ok at its previous mot. The bike has done a bit of 2 up work since I got it but my weight is only 11.5 stone so its duty has been light to moderate. The 999 was first registered in May 03 had only done maybe 8k miles when it started weeping, as the shock was available so cheaply it was a no brainer to replace it with a new one - in fact I would have replaced them both at the price just to fit a clean corrosion free unit. I suspect the age is more important in the life of the seals.

The site Chrisw linked to above is the correct one and they could not be faulted, delivered each item to me within 3 days of the ebay purchase, they are located about 30 miles away from Bologna. BTW Look at the 999 forks/shock he has available right now. I think the NOS stuff they sell is factory seconds, for example the 748 shock had a pin hole paint chip on the spring.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Got my 999 new rear shock from them. I can corroborate the great service.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Thanks for the additional info and link

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Anyone used this seller recently?

Got to get my 749 MOTed and my shock can definitely be described as misting... Seems to still have the new 749 999 shocks but the one feedback for that item is negative. Others above have had good experiences though. Seems ludicrously cheap for brand new OEM item. I’d expect to pay more than that for a rebuild.

17. Took a punt and it is indeed a brand new Showa for £140. Small paint chip on the spring which is presumably why Ducati rejected it. Turned up in three days as well whoop.

Looking through the service manual it appears to be the 749s shock? The settings for dark and base model biposto mention clicks, but this only has turns on rebound and compression. There again my 2nd gen 749 already has this Showa...

Did all generations darks and the early base models have Sachs shocks?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information