1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 Changing To 6” Rim

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by David Tarbotton, Feb 10, 2021.

1. The V2 comes as standard with a 5.5” rear wheel but this limits tyre choice for trackdays. Has anyone swapped the rear for a 6” and if so had any problems?
    As long as the centre hub/section is the same ‘width’ then the centreline of the wheel will be the same. If choosing say a 200/55 then the tyre diameter will be very close to a 180/60 tyre. I appreciate that this means that it may not turn as quickly due to the less steep profile but it seems pretty quick steering/turning as a standard so probably not much of an issue.
    Looking at the rear/swingarm the extra 1/4” on the rim and 10mm on the tyre/side doesn’t seem to be an issue re rubbing etc?
    Anyone done this and if so what section tyres were used and did you notice any obvious handling changes?

2. Can’t imagine having any issues finding competitive track tyres 180/60/17 in this day and age:eek: seriously were you looking? I wouldn’t trade for the wider rear and sacrifice more of an agile handling bike personally. Heavier wheel, heavier tyre. Perhaps someone can explain the benefits, apart from perhaps a slightly bigger footprint :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 190 or 180 fit np on that size rim. Plenty of those out there.

4. yeah, I saw this thread yesterday and tbh struggling to make sense of it. Supercorsa, Bridgestone v02, Dunlop’s all make them in that size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Just read this - looks like I will need to retire my 749R trackbike as I won’t be able to get 180/55 or 180/60 Diablo Scs or Racetecs for it anymore. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Shit loads of 180’s about mate.

I’ve run a vo2 200 on a 180 rim before many times.

not on a panigale granted

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. What are supersport and trioptions bits running this year?

8. Supercorsas Paul. You can get sc’s and metz k’s in 180 no trouble

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The tri options I think ran 190/50 or 55 on the stock rim at a couple of rounds where tyre wear was a particular issue, Spence will know. The 180/60 though really is a good compromise, the taller profile over a 180/55 gives it a really nice shoulder, which is why super sport use it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Has anyone of you guys actually tried a 6" rim on the V2?, I am after a extra set of wheels and the options to get used sets with 6" are way bigger then the 5,5". Would be nice to get some real world experience or comments.

11. Only issue with tyres this year was a general shortage across the industry. 180/60 normally very very available. As others said, you can fit a 190 on the rim no issue and is likely what you'd fit if fitting wets. Just remember to calibrate the tyre.

@Mossbo the Ducati supersport wheels fit if you want a used rear for wets of something.

12. Wonder if an 848 or monster rear would fit?

13. I thought the V2 had a big hub same as the 1098?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. It does, yes. I still don't really get the point of running 190 though, but at least if the OP wants to, there is a tyre calibration feature on the V2 which there wasn't on the 959 which could cause problems when people (for example) went down to 55 profile rears

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tires is no worries to me, I think 180 or 190 will work just fine. The rims are of interest. Will they fit, rubbing, correct centerline etc.
    Supersport rear, I guess it’s the same weight?, was after a few kilos less

16. If you want less weight, think you're gonna have to pay the big bucks. Supersport rear isn't less weight.

17. Yes I know, that’s the reason why I ask. I can get a used oz or carbon 6”, but can’t get a 5,5”.

18. The rear wheel is fairly light, I looked at OZ Piega and it's lighter, for sure but not KG's... maybe 1KG, even withstanding where the weight is in the rim etc it wasn't huge. You need a OZ GAS, or Carbon to make a significant difference, especially as you are going to stick a 10mm wider and bigger tyre on it that will have a weight penalty.

Supersport rim won't be lighter. You could maybe look at a Forged 1299 Wheel but I don't think the front will fit, which is arguably where you will feel the big difference, and they seem to go for big money.

19. FWIW I got a puncture in my 180/60 when on tour in Scotland, nearest bike tyre dealer didn’t have that size in so I had to fit a 190/55,….didn’t notice a jot of difference, felt just the same to me?

Checked it out with an online tyre size calculator when I got home and the 190 was only 10 mm smaller on circumference, wasn’t a problem at all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yes I am also sure that the 190/55 will work just fine, but;
    Question in the tread remains; Can we use a 6" wide wheel?, and has anyone tried?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information