1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Charger Problem...or Battery?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Sam1199, Dec 10, 2017.

1. IMG_2206.PNG IMG_2207.JPG Odd one this morning. I thought as it's cold I'd give the Pani battery a top up. Looks like it was a mistake.

I plugged it into the bike and immediately noticed a smell. The charging cables were heating up. No lights on the charger.

I unplugged it double quick. Yup, warm cables and definitely no lights or readout on the charger.
    Normally I plug into the bike and it lights up telling me the existing voltage, before switching on the mains supply to trickle charge.

No problem with this set up before. It's got a reverse polarity warning built in but the plugs can't be connected in reverse anyway. Definitely not that.

About 9 months ago I fitted a new Motobatt battery. All good so far. I checked its voltage and it's a bit low at 11.45v. Maybe that doesn't like the cold.

I got the key, turned on and all good.

So I'm wondering if it's the Acumen Titanium smart charger not liking the cold temperature?
    My first thought was the battery not liking the cold but as it's working on the bike and I can read 11.45v it points to the charger.

Anyhoo, I've brought the charger into the house to warm it up. Slowly.

Anyone had any experience like this or thoughts?

The more I think about it the more I reckon it's the charger and the cold temp. Probably about 1 degree in the garage.

2. I think your fancy charger has gone tits up. Plug it in without connecting it to a battery. Does the LCD display light up? Does it do anything? The battery is very unlikely to have anything to do with. Even if it was dead flat and drawing a high current the charger should be short-circuit protected.
    And you battery is definitely more than a bit low at 11.45V

3. I think you're right on both counts

4. Well, well, well.
    This is worth noting as it may happen to others.

I warmed the charger slowly in the house to room temperature over about 4 hours.

Then as you suggested I plugged it into the mains and hey presto it works.

So lesson learnt. The charger is perfect for me, neither of us like the cold. Maybe it has a low temperature cut out, I know I do.

According to the charger the battery was 11.9v not quite as bad as I thought but needing a top up.

It's now on charge.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information