1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Charging Via Data Plug

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Broduc64, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hi, I got a lead to plug into the data plug under the seat and into my Oximate charger, however this doesn't seem to charge the battery (trickle), the charger only switches on when key is turned on ?!?!?
    Is th Ducati charger the only way to leave on a trickle charge?

Cheers.

2. I wire my charger lead straight to battery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. @Robarano did you try yours before changing to a direct wired one on your 1199R? :thinkingface:

4. It won’t work. The plug under the seat is for the Data Analyser. The charger is designed to connect to the diagnostic port. On your bike this is a 3 way superseal connector not the 4 way sigma connector used on later bikes.

5. Mmm, I wonder why M&P (Busters) are selling them for the Pani then. Will send mine back when it arrives :):upyeah:

6. Ok, cheers, is there a lead to connect from the diagnostic port to an Oximate charger ? Or just easier to connect direct to the battery.

7. The Panigale can use it as it has the 4 way sigma diagnostic plug. The 1198 plug under the seat is for the Data Analyser.

8. Cool, I am changing my mind and now and not sending it back :) - I got the charger with the bike but it didn't come with an adaptor, only croc clips - cheers Chris

9. I used a flylead direct to the battery on my 1198.

10. Nope. I use the Ctek lead connected to the battery directly. I only found this lead that the previous owner had installed at the weekend when I fitted my tail tidy.

I was told by the technician in my local dealer once, that if you leave your DDA plugged in (on my 1098R), it does have a slight draw on the battery, so I'm assuming there has to be a permanent live in there somewhere. Also this lead is sold as being a specific Ducati fitting by Optimate. :thinkingface:

[​IMG]

11. Plug it in and get a multimeter on the 2 pins. If you get a current reading with the bike turned off, all is good. If not, then it won't work. :thinkingface:

I can check tomorrow if you like. I'm nice like that. :innocent:

*Edit. I just saw the OP was referring to a 1098 / 1198. That would explain it, maybe.

12. Aye = Chris explained it above - post #007 :):upyeah:

13. I replied to your post without reading past it. Only after replying did I go further. What a silly Billy. :)

14. Thanks anyhoo, I knew you had gone C-Tek but not sure if you tried it first :)

15. If you plug into the DDA under the seat you are putting 12v straight to the dash, ECU and DTC unit. The diagnostic plug is wired differently. The four pins are Can Hi, Can Lo, +12v and -ve. That is why the diagnostic connector can be used for charging.

16. So if you plug the charge lead into the connector it's just connecting the +'ve and -'ve only so the same as wiring a fly lead to the battery?

17. Correct

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information