1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Your Tyres.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pauly, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Not bike tyres, but this is what the MOT man found on my Mrs runaround Fiesta ST.

fal5.jpg

And Falkens explanation.
    falken reply.jpg
    Quite amusing, when my Mrs drives like the little old lady she is, and the only speedbumps the car sees are in Tesco's carpark. IMO the sidewalls aren't up to the side loads the ST can put through them, on the odd occasions I take the car out for a drive. So bear this in mind if you're looking for mid range tyres, and you may have to drive over speed bumps. The inner sidewall on the opposite tyre has started to split too.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Fair play to you Pauly, I'd be too embarrassed to admit I presented a car for an MOT looking like that.
    Do you not check the tyres anyway?

Lady Nasher would have my Balls if I'd let her drive that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's the inner sidewall, so unless it's on a ramp or the wheels are removed, hard to see. I was horrified though. The tyres have just under 6mm across the full width, and are under 3 years old. I bought them because they got good reviews in the wet, but they're not as good there either, as the original Bridgestones are.

#3 pauly, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Seen this happen a lot with Pirelli’s and metz bike tyres

5. Toyos used to be well regarded for the likes of TVR etc years ago. But something changed with them, and the sidewalls went soft. Pirelli have been my brand of choice on bikes for years, but I wouldn't pick them for a performance car. Michelin PS2's are what I like for 4 wheels.

6. Pilot sport 4 S for me as a road tyre all day long.

mega rubber.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I have Continentals on my car and I’m quite impressed with them. They are stable and quite hard wearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Falken are now saying the tyres were run under inflated. That's BS though, as the car has a TPMS, and a warning light and chime come up on the dash if the tyre pressures are low. Plus I check the pressures weekly anyway.

• Like Like x 1

9. Seems like a bit of a stretch that. You’d be able to see wear if they were under inflated

10. I've had a couple of sets of Contis on my A4 quattro, and they are very good in the wet/snow. Never got more than 10k out of them though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. When I had that tyre taken off, I asked the fitter about getting a replacements FOC from Falken. He said they'd deny it, and use every excuse going.

12. The previous owner of my Aston put fk510’s Falkens on it.

I have no idea why either as they’re not far off the price of Michelins which are actually good. These things are awfully loud to the point that I’m swapping them for pilot sports even though they’re basically new

13. When I researched PS2's I discovered they weren't all the same. BMW and Porsche for example, have their own spec. As I didn't want a mix, I made sure I got 4 of the Porsche N rated type. Not sure if Aston have their own tyre specs?

• Agree Agree x 1

14. I’m aware of that especially with the Germans. Unsure about Aston but I’ll just go with pilot sport 4 S’s eitherway.
    Safe bet and work beautifully on anything else I’ve had

15. 100%. Had them on my last car but I've got the P Zero's on my current car. They offer similar grip levels in good, dry conditions but they're shite when it gets sketchy... :eek:

16. Yep. In my experience when you run around on under-inflated tyres they don’t crack in one place but instead a band of abraded rubber forms around the entire circumference of the sidewall as result of the flexing and overheating. The inside of the tyre is also often full of black rubber dust too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I fitted them to my 911 after the cheapo Chinese ditchfinders it came fitted with almost had me go straight on and over a damp roundabout, and they were awesome. Michelins have also been my go-to bike tyre for decades

• Like Like x 2

18. I find Pirelli’s very noisy. Or atleast they used to be when I’ve ran them previously

• Like Like x 1
  19. The PS2 is quite an old tyre now, and I did consider PS4's at the last change. But supposedly the PS2 has a bit more dry grip.

20. Michelin being Michelin have pretty confusing branding.

There’s a PS4 and a PS4(S). They’re actually rather different as well.

The ps4S is their hyper sport ‘do it all’ tyre which has technology from the cup2’s but is still very much a usable road tyre.

nothing wrong with the PS4 though, it’s just less performance orientated

Do Not Sell My Personal Information