1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheeky E-bay Sellers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Noods, Mar 24, 2019.

1. 2nd time I’ve been suspicious an item I’ve bid for has been bid for by the seller himself or friend etc..

Same as before, I waited for last few seconds as I really wanted this item put in my maximum bid which was double the bid as it stood at that time only to find I’ve not bid enough and missed out..

Gutted, but next day I recieved a second chance offer of buying the item, being told the original buyer had to pull out and I could have it at the maximum price that I bid for the said item.. ?

X

2. Offer half of your final offer and let them try and get your bid up

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Noods, You are probably right, and with a few exceptions like ultra rare vintage MV or Gilera parts, most things will be available elswhere and have a market value. In the case of an ebay auction that market value is the next increment up from the bid below yours, not what your maximum bid was. If you suspect they have been bouncing it off the wall either refuse to deal on principle, or work from the bid below yours.

4. Well you know what the market was prepared to pay.
    You know the guy wants to sell
    If he re lists -which is likely- you know you can probably get it for less than you previous max bid.

That said, if you wanted it enough to make that offer, maybe it doesn't matter if he is dodgy or you were lucky the other guy didn't pay, 'cause you can have the thing you want? And you can have it right now!

5. Yep that’s what I did as such, but that piece of tooling is very rare so I went back to him £10 above the previous highest bid which was £90 below my original bid.. I’m waiting a reply... x

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yeah good move and hopefully he will accept or counter. Either way you know what he will accept.

7. I often think this is happening, but I never ever bid until within the last 10 seconds if it's something I really want and I put on the most I would pay - even if still at £5 with 10 seconds to go, if I think £100 is fare, I last bid at £100.
    There are programs to bid at the last second evidently but I don't know how to use those.
    Sellers do get messed with so it's not deffo he was bidding himself...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information