1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 *cheers* Decision Made - Genuine Dilemma - Serious Question For A Change

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by everclear, Dec 20, 2018.

1. I own a a 1098s from new, but would like to own and provide TLC/have a bit of fun on a "classic" (IMO) Ducati sportsbike - both of which will be long termers.

So a 2000 748R has come up for sale in Oz ( there are not many here). 35000km's, Termi system, unregistered, in good but not perfect nick. Belts and full service required - been sitting around. So for the purposes of this thread assume it is genuine and OK, which I would have all checked out - it is about 2000km's away from me.

I have the dosh but it is tied up for several months ( and there is a small chance access to it could be refused for 12 months). So one option is to just wait and hope it doesn't sell. :worried:

The only other option ( take my word for it) is to approach the in-laws for a loan until I can get the cash. Now wife doesn't favour that. I have also witnessed so many bloody awful family disputes over financial dealings that I can sympathise with that view.

On the other hand, once this is gone, god knows how long it will be until another in this condition ( or any condition at all really) will come on to the market.

I genuinely don''t know what to do. I know we (including myself have a lot of fun on here) but would appreciate any honest opinions :upyeah:

748-1.JPG 748-2.JPG 748-3.JPG 748-4.JPG 748-5.JPG 748-6.JPG 748-7.JPG 748-8.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wait. Look at my avatar pic. Got that when i was 22. Wanted one when i was 20. But took dads advice, If you don,t have the dosh SAVE harder. I did & got the car. I am 66 years old now & only ever borrowed cash 2 times & each of those was a pain in the ass paying back. That cannot be the only 748 in OZ. Sure a better one will come along. Saying that my son borrowed 5 grand from me towards a deposit for a house. 2 days later he pulled up in a Red Golf GTI. 3 years ago & still no house.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks, FYI I'm 51 so no youngster trying to rush it :upyeah:

4. @everclear If the Mrs says don`t approach her parents then don`t. You say there are no other options so presumably you cant borrow from anywhere else or sell anything to cover the cost .
    Under those circumstances I would speak to the vendor and ask if he/she will wait subject to a non refundable holding deposit. If not maybe they will pass your contact details on to the next owner so they can contact you if and when they want to sell. I did that years ago when I was slightly too late in making an offer , to my surprise the new owner contacted me 6 months later as he found the bike too uncomfortable.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Unless it was life or death I wouldn't be borrowing money from family or friends. Quickest way to a falling out known to man.

• Agree Agree x 11
  6. It's not possible to get a bank loan secured against the assets you're liquidating? Or, even a straightforward personal loan? After all lawyers are regarded as safe bets by banks, at least here in UK/Ireland. Avoid touching up the in-laws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. There is no problem accessing credit. But we have kids/mortgage and investments. We don't want to touch proper investments. But I have a share in a racehorse that I'm happy to sell but that's not a straight forward thing with other parties/deed of arrangement - plus it is Xmas plus Summer here so the country shuts down for a month. That's why I say I do have the money, it's an issue of access, which could take a month or two or up to 12 months, but I will definitely get it. In complex negotiations with the Mrs a commercial loan was ruled out at the outset and I didn't want that path either when I know I have the money interest free.

8. I've borrowed money off my parents but have always paid it it back, if you know you can afford to repay the dept I don't see an issue, get the bike if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Go for it... it's only money, despite the stigma attached. If I've got it I'd lend it and if ain't I'd borrow it... ( for the record I'm not a professional financial adviser )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'd wait. 748Rs come up every now and again. Since I've been interested in these bikes I see 3 or 4 a year minimum in Aust. What would you say to your kids too, if you don't have the money you don't have the money.I waited until I was 55 to get my dream bike after having 6 other Ducatis. For the record, I am a professional financial adviser :-D

• Like Like x 2
  11. I always craved for classics. Bought loads of them. The trouble is the craving is best because when you actually get it you have a total anticlimax. Nothing is what it seems.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I agree to a certain extent,I was bought up with if you can't afford it you can't have it but this day and age credit is so easy to get and if you are 100% certain you can pay it back I don't see the problem with borrowing money.

13. Do you want to buy as an investment? Not sure where the value would be in 10 years time, by the time you add inflation and also the grieff of borrowing monies.
    Do you want to ride it? You have the 1098s, hence no rush.
    I would certainly wait to have the monies and also 2000km away..it can cost you "pennies" to sort the bike or it can end up a quite expensive project.
    How about a 250 2t race replica? RS250, RGV250, NSR250 at least it is a completely different bike and plenty of work required to keep them running.

14. i bought my 748sps new and still have it. I enjoy riding that more than my 1098s
    Sell your 1098s buy the 748R and then in a year when you have the money buy another 1098

• Like Like x 1
  15. I will want to ride it in good time when I have spent much enjoyable time fixing minor issues and getting any more complicated (but not "major" - I wouldn't be buying it)issues fixed. I intend to hold onto it long term, not as an investment but because I love that era of Ducati sporstbike. And there is no rush, if it is still unregistered with fairings off etc in 6 months time whilst I tinker about that is fine. I have thought of alternatives but the most fun I have had on a road bike was the K5 Gix Thou, so I'd have a 2 and 4 cyl. But the Gix is no fun to play with, they are everywhere so no I'll stick to dukes.

16. SELL MY 1 OWNER 1098S:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished: That pristine machine is staying where it is I know everything that has and hasn't happened to it. You can't just replace it!:scream:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Can't you borrow from someone you don't like very much?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I've found the feeling tends to be mutual :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. What about volunteering at the old peoples home?

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. "volunteering" - in the hope I will win my way into a will or three I presume?

That would be a breach of the Legal Practitioners Code of Ethics.

We lawyers are very ethical. :innocent:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information