1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cherry Popped - Ron Haslam School

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by efcbluepete, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Finally popped my track day cherry this morning at Donington in the Ron Haslam school. It felt good :astonished:.

Tuition was very enlightening and confidence inspiring, despite it raining from 1/2 way through.

Saw a Ducati owner from round York way who had a nasty off, but did regain consciousness in the ambulance - hopefully all is well for him (if you are on here, hats off to the speed you were carrying round Donington).

So, to plan for next summer ...

• Like Like x 5
  2. be prepared for your pockets to empty at an alarming rate!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The warning of putting it in the kitty-litter still resonates with me. As I did the haslem-600cc in the rain also. Are you planning on doing the 1,000cc course?

4. I did my first track day with them. I really enjoyed it. Esp sitting at lunch chatting to Ron and Leon. I was a tad starstruck. But they're genuinely normal down to earth midlanders. Really nice guys. I'd recommend it to any novice who's a tad reticent about track days.

Vic Cox was my instructor. Kinda put it into perspective for me when I thought I was giving it the berries into Redgate when Vic passed me on outside sitting for all intent and purposes, side saddle looking backwards at me watching what I was doing. That was when I truly understood these people (racers) are a different breed to us.

5. Yeap I enjoyed the day and would recommend the experience.

6. +1 Think I might do it again later this year

Ps @efcbluepete what was your score?

7. So much to remember, and looking at the photos I can see improvements (from 10to2 feet to balls of feet, upright rigid to hanging off a bit, etc), but so much more to learn and improve on.

Possibly a bit pricey at £300 for 1/2 day (total 60 mins on track), but the quality of tuition, kit, bikes, etc far outweighs the limited time on track.

@GunZenBomZ - will have to be next year as 2017 is fully booked for the elite 1000cc sessions.

@El Toro - 85% was the score. Commented on smooth style and big improvement in hanging off the bike. 30 years of road riding in a mostly upright position takes a bit of unlearned.
    Glad I did it and definitely want more track time

8. With the right attitude, and some good advice, you can make some big steps towards it tho :)

9. My uncle did a one on one day with Neil Hodgson. My uncle is a fast rider in the fast group but he always goes on about Hodgy coming past him, round the outside with the back tyre spinning and smoking up a treat :joy:

10. Exactly same as me and for the same reason too.

11. No Limits do Road Bike only days at Donington, which are a bit more sedately paced than the normal track days there, if you fancied doing a day on your own bike and didn't want to smash it up

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Ive just bought a new 1299S, so I am reticent about tracking it just yet as the cost is still forefront of my mind. However thats useful to know greame as I love Donnie. Craner still scares the fuck outta me but the blind double just before the straight which leads onto foggie esses are exciting. Coppice I think its called. I love that but its so easy to go wide on exit for novice schmucks like me.

My main worries about track days are not me. I can control my own enthusiasm. Its holding people up who are faster accidentally and them having to jump me somewhere. I find it difficult to not want to see whats behind and that is a difficult reflex action to stop.

Ive decided to track the 916 instead as its plenty quick enough for me as an intermediate, plus its got good R&T Ohlins suspension, brakes and lightweight wheels. Engine was Full Monty'd by Snells. Its a good tight bike.

I'll look that up Graeme, so thanks.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information