1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chilli Con (or Sin) Carne

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 23648F2F-581A-4052-8DA5-C86147133A03.jpeg @evoarrow I can’t find the thread that went off topic into chilli recipes so I started a new one. Here’s the one I use but leave out the cinnamon (unless you like cinnamon). You’ve got to give it a good, long, slow cooking time, at least 120 mins once the meat’s in the pot. Either on a low heat on the hob (but stir frequently so it doesn’t stick & burn on the bottom of the pot) or better still bring to the boil and put it in the oven at 150c for 2hrs. It works a treat every time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Mentioned it to wifey, she said I dont like chilli con carne :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Going to give this a go today I think

4. Get back to sleep you mad man!

5. Still on Iraq time lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chilli sin carne can be consigned to the Hell of the Beef Bacon Sinners.

Give me carne or give me death!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. However, for any non meat eaters out there, if making sin carne then either replace the meat with Quorn (yuck, why do vegetarians need something that looks like meat?) or diced sweet potato. Not only will it be healthier for the planet but you'll save energy costs as you only need to cook it for 20min max. Result. :upyeah:

BTW, that's an old recipe I had but it always works and I've used it for years, even on a commercial scale.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hence it’s not chilli beef. It’s chilli: use whatever mince you like, whether meat or substitute

9. Mince is quicker to cook but chuck steak (shoulder) is better. The fat and connective tissue renders down when cooked slowly and increases the flavour. IMO. Horses for courses.

10. this is all very strange for me, i have been banned from the kitchen for nearly 70 years now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. If there is no meat ... why the Hell are we worried about the health of the planet?

12. Arghh, I’ve been admonished. In my defence I had a moment of political correctness and eco-friendliness there. It won’t happen again :worried:

ps. SWMBO is vegetarian :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I have eaten spaghetti bolognese made with pork mince, back when BSE/CJD was a thing.

That's never gonna happen again, I promise you.

14. Turkey better imho than pork.

Bit nothing is as good as quality Angus beef ;)

15. If you make a chilli, post a pic of it, need a scoring mechanism, 1 crap, 10 sexy taste buds.
    Anyone starting a Curry thread?

16. Sorry - got a headache ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Off you go.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Your fault. Remember this moment, Paul.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Waiting on this simmering away patiently

Do Not Sell My Personal Information