1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese Fairings

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Nasher, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Thought I'd post here as not everyone reads the build threads.

I'm considering a set of Chinese EBAY Fairings for my 999 in plain Red and understand they won't match the tank colour wise.

All the EBAY vendors are similar prices and feedback ratings, so I'm wondering if anyone has brought a Red set from a particular vendor and been happy(ish) with the colour match to the tank.

Thanks

Nasher.

2. Do you know who the vendor was Sev?

There appear to be either 2 or 3 distinct types, but being sold by multiple vendors, and if I can go with one somebody has already used and is happy with I'd be happier.

3. My favourite colour is yellow. I would have bought a yellow 999 had such been available. Now I'm not so sure - the meme that is the proper colour for a Ducati has taken root. I suppose, as opposed to buying a 2nd 999, the ideal would be to have all the red parts in storage - like with the screen and clutch cover - to refit prior to selling the bike.

I've supposed those Chinese fairings are good enough - but I don't think I'd like transfers/stickers. However, I was excited to find that the genuine tank, tail fairing and pillion pad are still available.

But the tank alone is ~£1500; and with the tail fairing and pillion pad it comes to more than two grand! The front fairing from Ducati is cheap by comparison. And while I would trust the ~half price Chinese knock off, I think I'd pay the rest of it just to get the legend/logos done such that you can't immediately tell they came with a Bazooka Joe comic.

4. Yeah, but how do you apply them? Doing such in the past I'd cover them with clear lacquer. Can you do that on such fairings? It's no good if you can feel them.

(Ignoring the fact I'm not spending £2500 + on changing the colour)

5. Well, the unspoken question was whether the lacquer would melt the plastic.

6. No, you can safely spray 2k clear over vinyl decals, I've done it today in fact - having just painted my 1098 tank, added the 'ducati' decals and cleared over the lot.

If you want to properly bury the decals so you cant feel them then you'll have to clear them in with 2-3 full wet coats of HS clear, let it cure, flat back over the decals with 1500-2000 paper, then another 3 coats of clear, then probably another flat back and final flow coat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. another option if you're bothered about paint match is when your wuhan plastics turn up, get the red spectrometered and get some mixed up so you can paint the tank to match

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. IMAG0074-20190113-135457118.jpg IMAG0073-20190113-135458788.jpg
    Full yellow respray

IMAG0072-20190113-135459944.jpg

IMAG0070-20190113-135501120.jpg

IMAG1187.jpg

P1020454-20190223-155440937.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. was black, full yellow respray as Italy intended.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks all

I'm wishing the frame on my bike wasn't Red, otherwise I'd have probably gone down the Yellow route myself, but I don't want to strip it to a bare frame to get it re-finished.

I'm most likely going to stick with Red, but am thinking about Black and maybe a Brushed Aluminium Wrapped Tank instead of painting to match the body. The Wrapped tank would also work with Red bodywork to mask the difference.
    I don't need the bodywork for a while, so won't order it yet, and will continue to look out for good used genuine bodywork in the mean time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. There these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-9...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information