1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinesium Farkle Knock Offs...?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Bonkers the Dog, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Apologies folks if this one has raised its head before, but I is a newbie!

So, the question is has anybody tried some of these Chinese CNC Ducati parts? I am thinking of buying my new toy some jewellery to make her go from pretty to stunning.

Now, if I put my KTM hat on I must say that a lot of the orange CNC farkles that she is draped in have come from China and I can't really fault them; CNC Cut Aluminium is what it is.

The cost differences are marked. In the region of 25%, it is difficult to argue against that. Why pay some fancy Italian just to carve his name in the product.

Obviously I am displaying a bias here but I am genuinely interested to see other opinions on the matter, but not the merits of importing stuff from China as opposed to buying UK/EU first! That's for another thread...

See the attached links as an example. I have the levers on the KTM and they are well made and look good.

Cheers

BTD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustab...it-Bucati-Aprilia-MILLE-R-Red-AY/402356310675

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Rear...el:848&hash=item2164e66582:g:j7sAAOSwVkBduRm0

2. I have bought some parts direct from China before. I don't use eBay for that but AliExpress.
    Prices are even lower
    £13.99 | Motoo - DB-12 D-22 Motorcycle Brake Clutch Levers For DUCATI 796MONSTER 696 MONSTER HYPERMOTARD 796 400 MONSTER ST4S 695 MONSTER
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtv2x9D
    This is just a example.
    The only doubt it in the material used. There are huge differences between different types of aluminium both in strength and price. That is something of a risk particularly if you consider parts that are under stress or load. I can't see how you could even buy the billet for those levers in a high grade aluminium like 7075 for the price they are selling the finished product.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I bought a set of inch high risers for my 900ie some years back on Ebay from china and i can't even remember how much(i think 50 quid mark) and they are brilliant good quality ali but like you say the risk of crap quality.
    105822507_198457881479914_5533253708272883981_n.jpg

105959698_295721774898293_7934620892273023878_n.jpg

#3 WAYNE, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  4. Brake levers would be a no for me. Too much risk involved, the possibility of them letting you down under heavy breaking at a time when you need them the most... doesn't bear thinking about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I have used Chinese radiators, levers, discs, instrument displays and more on my Kawasaki's in the past and never had any kind of issue, despite everyone assuring me I would have. I took my ZRX all over Europe and never overheated once, despite being guaranteed by other forum 'experts' that the rad would fail ...

Its how stuff is made, not where that matters. My parent company is Chinese and some of the quality control they have in place is astonishingly high. Not all manufacturers will be like that, but the same will apply to stuff made here too - some will be good and some will not.

I did find that the Chinese brake levers (front) I tried had more play than I was comfortable with on the adjuster knuckles, so always used Pazzo or similar on the front brake...clutch side levers never let me down though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. My experience of chinese stuff in the maritime/offshore industry is not just that they are constantly undermining the western markets by copyright/patent theft, but that they also fake stuff without conscience or thought for life.

I have seen several occasions where material specification and subsequent testing certification have all been forged. Had it not been picked up on, the end results would have been catastrophic.

If they are prepared to roll the dice with million dollar projects, why would they ever give a shit about the quality of some 20 quid components?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I would draw a line between 'farkles' and safety dependent items

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Points taken. I too would hesitate to use them in safety critical roles but I'm talking about bling, magpie items that perform no function other than to personalise.

SWMBO bought me a set of levers for the KTM for my crimbo and I can't really fault them. Yes, a wee bit more play but then you soon adapt. I can't really see any failure point on them, well designed, robust and fit for purpose.

I can under stand the comment about high ticket items and patent infringement but as I said earlier, that's for a different forum and to my mind would fall squarely in the bailiwick of the courts or goobermunt.

When you are spending your own hard earned you have to stretch it as far as it goes and whilst keen to support indigenous efforts I can't justify spending 3-4 times as much to do so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Isn't some KTM and BMW models built in China?

IMO they can build any shite you want really cheap, and they are more than capable of making good products cheaper than the Western World. The idea that everything that comes out of China is shite is probably an out of date thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Quite possibly, but I would rather have the backing of an OEM or a reputable manufacturer that has, presumably, carried out some sort of quality control than some unknown knock 'em out cheap factory in god knows where.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thread moved

12. It is exactly this. I have dealt with millions of pounds worth of product from all around the world, but certainly a lot with China. The buyer specifies the quality or price when he orders, the stuff that comes back conforms to the request made.

If you order cheap - you get crap that is cheap. If you order grade A - you get grade A that is more expensive. Its HOW stuff is made not where it is made that matters. I know for fact as I said earlier, some Chinese manufacturers have better QC than some other companies in what may be considered more 'fashionable' parts of the world.

Food aside, there is very little we all use that does not have chinese, taiwanese or similar parts either in it or on it somewhere ;) Even Suzuki ran with chinese made oil filters for quite a while on their Jap made bikes ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. You won’t know how good a shiny Chinese part is compared to a European shiny part unless you get them both tested in a lab.
    No amount of clever marketing or specification sheets will give you 100% peace of mind.
    Perhaps getting your money back from a European supplier if a part fails may be easier than a Chinese supplier?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Doesn't Apple use China as its manufacturing base?

Theres good and bad quality everywhere. I had a great trouble free and cheap Chinese car radiator when I lived in Mexico (nothing else was available). That said I'd never buy an iphone...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Buying direct from a no-namo company you have no idea what the quality will be like. If there's a reputable intermediary that uses manufacturing outside of the their direct control, in China or just around the corner, you would expect them to carry out sufficient quality control and stand by a product that they put their name to. Of course it's going to be more expensive as a result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I also bought a slave cylinder from MC-MOTO(China) fitted it before i rode down to Italy in 2015 on my 900ie and only replaced it with a Oberon one back in Feb this year(it started to weep) and got plenty of mileage out of it.
    http://www.mcmoto.com.hk/contact

• Like Like x 2
  17. Had ching chong levers on all my road, race and track Bikes and have never had any problems at all. Even if they are sub standard quality I think you’d struggle to brake them in ‘normal’ use.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I fitted ASV levers, at great cost, to my Multistrada probably 6 years ago and I have just had to replace them because the actuator rod cups and the holes where the pivot pin goes are worn out. I think the truism ‘you only get what you pay for’ mostly still applies but you have to set your expectations before deciding if it’s value for money. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. My experience is that if they make stuff for large companies it generally conforms, but left to their own ends they may use material that's not really ideal or suitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Having worked in the automotive industry for many years I can say there is some very good quality product that comes out of China. The better companies realise that quality is key and poor quality means they will not survive. The biggest problem is knowing who the good quality suppliers are....

You may find you are already using Chinese product with the country of origin hidden. Under EU law if a part is changed or additional value is added then the country of origin changes. I know for certain my old company kept piston kit assembly in Germany as once they added the rings to the piston it was legally allowed to be of EU / German origin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information