1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Chopped It In

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Apr 26, 2018.

1. I've said a sad goodbye to my gorgeous 2015 DVT Multi yesterday. I have deeply enjoyed my 3 years with it - what a superb bike.

Why sell it? No technical reason - the Multi was doing superbly at 11,500 miles. But I fancied a change. I both couldn't afford a 1260, nor did I see it as being significantly different enough to warrant the change. So I wanted something to tide me over for 2-3 years until the inevitable V4 Multi appears.

I did however take a test ride on an MT-10. Wowza. What a missile. I was sucked in hook, line and sinker. Add in a good discount down to £9999, brand new, with 10% of a few bits, and the bike was mine.

I don't ride as much as I used to so an insane naked is much more suitable than it would have been before. Also, it's actually really rather comfortable (esp with the comfort seat). Mrs T fits on the back (shortish journeys only obviously), though I need to get her a grab rail. I did get offered a great deal on an SP model (electric Ohlins & colour TFT screen) but didn't think the additional £2500 was worth it, as it's all about the engine. I may get some carbon fibre wheels instead - more bang for buck. It looks weird, but the Multi looks weird. They are both weird in their own ways.

Good things versus the Multi: The engine is astonishing. Astonishing. Smooth, hugely torquey, amazing pull, raspy character. Stunning. It's got bags of character, loads of low down grunt, and it simply flies. Everyone should try one. Other good stuff - it's cheaper! It feels much lighter, more manoeuvrable, better in traffic (narrower bars, easier and lighter to weave through narrow gaps). Handling is better - razor sharp, fast direction changes. Makes the Multi feel ponderous by comparison (even though the Multi handles beautifully). No swingarm filling up with water and stones. Rear wheel can be removed without a 10-foot scaffold pole.

Bad things versus the Multi: Cosmetic build quality is not as good. Some thin plastics. Some cheap-looking bits (clutch lever & mounting for example). Fuel tank is only 17 litres and it doesn't half drink the stuff. Average 35mpg with "spirited" riding. 120 miles to the light comes on when ridden like it's meant to be, probably 140 miles before running dry. On the motorway at 70mph it does 48-50mpg in 6th though. Fewer electronics (no cornering ABS, not that I ever used it on the Multi, and less to go wrong). Obviously less suspension travel, and it's quite firm as standard. Not quite as comfy as the Multi - a bit more of a hunched over versus upright riding position. Not as much luggage carrying capability, though you can get a rack and panniers. I'm likely going to get some SW-Motech throwover panniers which have a cool mounting setup.

So there we have it. Picos in June - this thing will be hilarious down there.

PS - if anyone wants a full Termi system with upmap for the DVT, check the for sale section.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. You sound happy - good for you!

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. I get where you're coming from. I test rode an MT10 before I did the Multi. It's all you say, it's a fantastic bike and that crossplane motor is a joy! But for me having owned Japanese and particularly Yamaha's for some years I felt I needed to change the other way around, hence I bought the Multi !! Like you said the MT is a bit weird looking and I couldn't quite get my head round that, and I had lusted after a Multi for a long time and think it's a beautiful looking bike. I couldn't be happier with my choice. but if I won the lottery my first addition to the garage would be an MT10. Enjoy your new bike:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep you're right. I'd like a Multi in the garage as well. One day a 3-bike garage will be mine!

5. A lot of bike for £10k and the option of other nice to have bits for £2.5K.
    This months Bike mag sums it up, Ducati sales only 1% growth 2017. The good tech that came out 2015 onwards is now becoming the norm with most manufacturers.
    So maybe the Ducati high price increases will slow the sales even more as we go into 2018.
    Love Ducati’s, but maybe the cost of a new one for me could also tempt a different brand.
    Enjoy the Yam

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Good job you can’t see it when you’re sat on it. It’s as ugly as fuck!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. I’ve had GSs, Super Teneres, KTMs and a Multistrada, so I know my ugly bikes :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Congrats on your new purchase. You'll love it. I'm on my 2nd MT-10 after I replaced my original one with an MT-10SP when my local Yam dealer made me an offer to upgrade that I couldn't refuse. Everyone wants the base model and the residuals are so good that I all but paid the difference with 5000 miles on my trade in. The residuals are solid because last year it was sold out after being on sale for 2 months, globally.

It's such a contrast to the Multi yet still fairly practical, although you've hit the nail on the head with it's shortcomings. The comfort seat isn't even an option, you really do need to have it. With a MT-10SP alongside my 1260S it makes for a fantastic pairing in my garage, but equally either bike could potentially do the same as the other although when it comes to choosing what to ride when your hair's on fire then it's the MT-10SP every time.

After I test rode the Panigale V4S I was seriously considering trading my MT-10SP in for one, but then I stopped and looked at the sportsbike market a bit closer and realised that £24.5 for a V4S made £20K for an R1M look like a cheap bike. I applied for one and got accepted but when it came down to it I figured that I'd use the MT-10SP much more and for longer trips and just get to ride it and enjoy it more often, so the MT-10SP is staying. I'm not regretting that decision one bit coz it's bloody awesome.

#8 Rainman, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. This.

10. MT-10 is a great bike. That and the R1 plus the Triumph nakeds are the only bikes that could tempt me away from Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nice bike, the looks have definitely grown on me, probably due to all of the rave reviews.

10k and it’s better than any naked Ducati have to offer!

• Like Like x 2
  12. image.jpeg Put an R1 tail on it, makes it look so much better.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Blinking heck, You've bought an autobot transformer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ducati LEEDS cannot cope at the moment. Was there on Monday last. The car park was full of crated bikes waiting to be unpacked. The sales guys & the service lads said they havn,nt had time to breath. Every model selling as soon as they arrive. Same for their floor below, Triumph. MT10 is nice enough but a budget bike really. Ok if you are struggling for cash i suppose. Taken a final edition panni. multi colour to store, without oil. Booked a test ride on v4s. Love the Speciale, but asked if i could have the red wheels as opposed to the black. Letting me know soon. Fingers crossed.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I’m amazed they ever sell anything. I’ve given them three opportunities to sell me something in recent years (both upstairs and downstairs) and each time they’ve been rude in their response and insulting with their offers.

Three strikes and you’re out I’m afraid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. That's just the Yorkshire way.
    You're right to spend it this side of the hills!
    :)

17. Not always. They are just rude and arrogant, believing that you won’t go elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Wow, have a star for most pretentious post of the year!

Yeah, that 10k bike is okay if you’re poor but I’m getting at 30k bike with special red wheels :joy:

If you’re riding it on the road the MT10 will be faster, more comfortable and practical, but I guess you won’t draw a crowd of spectators at bike meets in between the 100 miles it’s ridden every year...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Steve, I like some of your posts mate, but do you wish to re-phrase that ?? As it made you sound like a right c.........:eek:

#20 Wayne58, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information