1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil Engineering - Triple Decker Roundabout - A19

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Apr 6, 2019.

1. I live close to a road network bottleneck, at the junction of the A19 and A1058 'Coast Road' between Newcastle and the coast. For years it's been horrendous in rush hour and drops down to extremely busy at other times. :mad:

It was decided to do something about it a few years ago and after a public consultation, the decision reached was to build down under the current roundabout between these 2 busy roads to allow the traffic on the A19 to flow through unimpeded. This would create a 'Triple-Decker roundabout'. The road also had to be kept open during this time. o_O

Anyway, it was opened last week after about 3 years of disruptive roadworks and I travelled through it today. :) :upyeah: I love any kind of engineering and big civil projects like this are impressive. Things like this which make me not mind paying the road fund licence for once (I know it goes into general taxation btw).

Before

Digging in the dirt

Now

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. It was certainly interesting watching it develop and a lot easier to use when I used the tunnel this week

• Like Like x 1
  3. There is a history of these improvements, including the insertion of an underpass beneath the M4 at Junction 13 Chievely so that the A34 traffic doesn’t all have to stop at a roundabout.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank god for that, I didn’t realise what they were up to but hopefully benefit from it soon

5. Went through it for the first time this morning - amazing riding under it and looking up - guessing the 50 limit is here to stay though, least the average speed camera's are off and will be removed

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information