1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Clacky Forks?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jim996, Mar 24, 2019.

?
  1. Grow a pair and just ride it

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Big worry. Disassemble to a million pieces trying to find something wrong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. started pulling the 996 out of hibernation today - and noticed a noise in the forks
    Specifically - bike upright:
    push down on handlebars - no noise
    Pull back up - distinct clack sound from inside forks, just as they start moving up

Is this normal, or something to investigate further?
    Forks felt fine in riding last year, and felt well damped when manually exercised as above today

2. Just get um serviced mate , can't do any harm.

3. Probably not the forks :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. As above, probably just a brake hose clicking, or...hitting a bump stop bush when you pull them up.
    Or...something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Can i please tick both option A & B......just for the hell of it;)

6. Paranoia on a grand scale.
    Are you sure it was anything serious and not just the normal sounds from a Ducati?

7. What oil have you got in your forks? Sometimes things can separate when stood for a while. Is your (fork) oil due for replacement? Is your mudguard loose? Bounce them for a while, are they damping correctly. If you last changed the oil in 2017 or earlier. Change it. :)

8. Could also be brake discs or the pads moving within the caliper...either way good to service the forks every couple of years.

9. +1 on this, have you checked it's not the discs moving on the bobbins?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. funnly my 996 did the same, i thought it was the head bearings, but they were fine..
    never got to the bottom of it

11. Forgive my ignorance but are the discs with floating bobbins?

12. Damping rod bolt loose
    Worn tube bushes

13. Yep, showas

14. Mine were the same.

15. They all do it (Showa shocks) some even from new, feels/sounds like a slightly loose head race but is slight play in the bushes within the forks and mostly audible/discernible around the bottom yoke. There are all sorts of theories including those already listed. If the bike has done anything over 5k miles then they will gently knock. Learn to live with it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Worn elbow joints? Just making sure that all bases are covered.

17. I'm following this thread with some interest as I have the same issue. There's a clunking noise coming from front end, (forks I think) when the suspension is pushed down and released. I've checked there's nothing obvious loose.

The linked video shows it both with the front brake held on, to rule out the noise of the pads grabbing the disk, and then about half way through with a roll forwards and then grab the brake - all kind of difficult to do with one hand on the phone and the other on the front brake. The noise is noticeable when riding as well but handling is absolutely fine/normal. The forks are Ohlins.

ps. No snide comments please - I know it looks like I'm humping the bike, and yes I do love it, but I'm not; honestly :)

18. My 2010 multi with ohlins does the same.
    Most noticeable when going over speed bumps, when the wheel is over the crest and the suspension is extended.
    Been doing it for a while and when I mentioned at a service interval it was suggested I took it elsewhere!
    It’s not any worse, I’ve just got used to it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Thanks. The bike is new to me, I’ve never had the same issue with the Showas on the 748 so was questioning it. I guess it’s a case of ‘they all do that Sir.’

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information