1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Bike

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Boukekoppejan, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Hi!

I have a question. When i clean my bike i don’t use water but always use a cleaning towel with WD40 for the chassis and engine and wax for the complete fairing. Is that a good cleaning or? Some litle advice please:)

Thanks!!

2. I do similar - but every now and again - maybe every 10th ride - I spray with Sdoc 100 let it sit for 20 minutes then pressure wash. Then dry and clean as normal. It gets into the areas you can not get to without taking the bike apart.

I use a detailing spray for the paint, seat, handlebar controls, screen, and grab rails and everything below gets a spray with silicone spray - then a wipe with a microfibre, then on the engine and exposed parts (except brakes) a really light spray again of the silicone.

I know many do not like silicone - but Its good for keeping bike shiny - a bit of a water displacer and stops the Ducati corroding for the most part - also the one I use - is a low dilution silicone - high propellant can - so the propellant gives a solvent for the cleaning too.

I use Brake and Clutch cleaner to clean the chain and anything really grimmy - then GT85 to do a final clean of chain with a cloth to dry before applying chain lube - I am currently using Wurth Dry Lube - previous was Profi Dry Lube - which is similar but more than twice the cost and have used maybe 10 different types over the last ... years.

Typically takes me 30 minutes every ride and the 1 in 10 maybe another 3 hours - but only 1 hour is wash and dry - I leave it a further 2 hours normally after the blow dry before the clean and lube part to ensure as much water as possible is gone.

At fly time - I spray the front with water from a trigger bottle and then use wet wiper - Industrial ones - to remove the flies - before drying and applying the detailing spray.

If I get caught out in the rain and the bike looks mucky - then its always a Sdoc 100 spray and a rinse before the clean.

3. Your going to get fine scratches and swirls, as your bike will be covered in dust and dirt and your doing a great job or rubbing that around on your paint surface.

4. EE9786E8-B8F6-4CA2-B8D1-E9A1AFB4773F.jpeg A6A26687-858C-4B7B-BFFC-7134AA2B5DCF.jpeg I used to give mine a good wash with a good shampoo (gold class) once dried I would wax the panels and use WD40 on a cloth for all the metal bits it’s great for wheels too

Obviously watch your brakes/chain

ACF 50 over the winter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good morning Ducbird!
    You seem to be doing a great job of cleaning that bike, though a little more practise won't do any harm. When are you heading north?

PS.
    I used ACF last winter - never again. Its not a patch on keeping your bike in the lounge.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. That was a few years ago now
    I no longer have a bike

Nothing wrong with a ducati in your lounge best place I reckon

7. #8 Jez900ie, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah the bloody Chesterfields get in the way though and whats worse - small parts slide down the back of the cushions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Couldn't possibly comment on Ducbird but rumour has it that most women favour large parts.
    Maybe this is why...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I heard that, its why it took the small ones off and replaced with a larger part!

11. Very sensible :)

12. Ok, so What do you do then?

• Like Like x 1
  13. So the best way is to use a soft wet towel to clean it after a ride and then use detailspray?

Yesterday i cleaned the bike and the chain, it looks new again!

312426AC-B695-4063-B29F-82C23E5C5931.jpeg CF11C436-68A7-49A3-9A93-15317C4DE61D.jpeg 66D27A32-9A97-4596-9D9F-CA5E89843F73.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. The hardcore detaillers see enough on these pictures that i forgot to clean:blush:

15. How do you clean al the bolts? Replace them for new or?

16. Polished stainless or titanium

Do Not Sell My Personal Information