1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning (oil Stains From Block Paving)

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Andy800, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Howdy folks
    Does anyone have a definitive solution for getting oil stains out of block paving?
    Muchas Gracias

2. yes, tarmac over it... @West Cork Paul probably has contacts in the trade.....

• Funny Funny x 9
  3. Perhaps soap & detergent added with a high pressure water system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Detergent, wire brush, elbow grease and a karcher! Job jobbed :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Been at it with fairy liquid and a hard bristle scrubbing brush. Gave it a light coat of WD40 also.
    Haven’t attacked it with the karcher yet

6. hot high pressure washer or steam cleaner... the trouble is depending on how much has soaked into the block it may look clean but lech out later... id go with tarmacking the lot... of blast off and nuke it from orbit... its the only way to be sure....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maybe a drop of petrol and a box of swan Vestas just to loosen it up a little before you dial 999.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. I’ve done far dafter stuff :joy: I’m just thankful my eyebrows grew back after the last “Petrol incident”

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. That's a very heavy handed approach:scream:,but a nice idea nevertheless.

10. I've used gunk in the past.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. ^^^ This...

My last van started leaking oil so when I sold it I cleaned the mess with Gunk. Sprayed it on left it a while and pressure washed it off. Took about 3 cycles :):upyeah:

#11 Mary Hinge, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 4
  12. Aye there’s some lads around that are quite handy with Tarmac. Not their Tarmac mind you but the County Council’s, it’s funny how when they’re redoing the roads it seems to spill over and flow onto people’s driveways and farmyards, it’s even been known to flow uphill :thinkingface::joy:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Have you tried brake cleaner?

Amazing stuff for cleaning lots of things and the same active ingredient as dry cleaning fluid.

Give it a spray and a scrub and see how you get on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Drop of petrol ? Use a gallon you girl :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Take out stained pieces and replace with edge pieces. Hide the stained pieces around the edges. Nick some clean ones from a neighbour, put the stained pieces in neighbours drive. £1 tub of caustic soda, mixed to a weak solution try on neighbours drive first. Try all ideas on neighbours drive, late at night. Turn each block upside down if all else fails.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. After various attempts I sprayed the stained blocks liberally with Wynn's Fuel Injector Intake and Carb Cleaner,left for about half a minute,and burnt it off with a gas blow lamp.Keep the blow lamp moving over the block to prevent a hot spot which can spit a small piece of material off the block.This only happened once with once.
    Repeat if required
    My oil stains were not very old,but they were all removed,with no trace left.

• Useful Useful x 3
  17. The best engine degreaser is Gunk IMHO especially to get rid of the black gunge that builds up around the front sprocket. It also cleans oil stains from concrete and paving pretty well. Brush it on, leave for 10 minutes and spray it off with a hose. Stick with the orange tins rather than the other Gunk alternatives as they don't work as well. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/e...ser/gunk-engine-degreaser-1-litre-678052.html

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. You need to draw the oil out with cement dust or sand. When you jet wash a block paver you drive the dirt in rather than get it out. If you've been scrubbing at it then you've probably already driven the oil in. If you have spare blocks smash the affected ones out with a hammer and bolster and replace.

If you suffer with OCD then try a very light acid wash, but you need to wash the whole drive!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Are you suggesting that i do a D.I.Y Wicker Man movie move:thinkingface: i.e set myself alight.:confused:

20. I used the Harpic Mega 10x, or whatever its called, in the black bottle. I'd bought some to clean up my exhaust. It removed the stain, but the fizzing should have warned me it was dissolving the block as well! I wiped up the orangey mess and hosed the remainder away. I now have a bright orangey brick set into the drive as a reminder that Harpic isn't the answer! I've remembered several times, so it works....

• Funny Funny x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information