1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Rear Sprocket

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Snips, May 6, 2021.

1. I'd like to clean the rear sprocket, and I saw someone on YouTube using chain cleaner. I'm no expert, but I would have thought that would risk flushing oil from somewhere it's needed (maybe the wheel bearings are sealed and all would be OK?).

Is cleaning the rear sprocket with chain cleaner safe to do?

2. I’ve always used either wd40 and a rag or petrol.

whatever works really

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Paraffin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paraffin. Some on here use Chanel no5 and wipe off with silk underwear. Paraffin best. Never get your undies clean again with chain grease on them:)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Is petrol safe with O ring chains? Certainly Chanel No 5 will damage them.

I use Motul Chain Cleaner and the other end of their chain cleaning brush.

6. Parrafin for chains, sprockets etc. Its cheap and effective. Old petrol is okay I believe.

7. You've been trying Chanel No 5 haven't you! Makes the bike smell as good as it looks. Neither petrol or paraffin will damage the O or X rings

Fancy overpriced in the can products do exactly the same as EP80/90 gear oils. EP extreme pressure oils fling a little. Old trick was a little glass jar, 1 teaspoon full of moly grease 2 teaspoons of EP 80/90. Mix well and paint on with the wife's makeup brush having used the wife's Chanel no5 to clean off the old. Women have fantastic tool boxes in the dressing table. Strangely they suddenly lack humour if you are found out:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. My wife is banned from my garage. If she ever had a good look around, I'd be in deep doodoo.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Would she find some of her missing clothes??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. No, but she'd find a load of hand towels, her suede brush(s), her hair dryer, her hair straightener (good for shrink wrap), several toothbrushes, her nail varnish remover, several pairs of scissors, some pots, blankets, pillow cases, paint brushes, and other assorted things that have mysteriously vanished over the years. Plus a few other odds and sods Ive forgotten about.
    Fortunately she has an aversion to oil and grime, so I give her the impression that its oily in there. Which is true to a point.

Edit: just remembered all the tupperware that Ive stolen and now contains nuts n bolts etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. As is a mix of petrol/diesel. If you ever know someone who puts the wrong fuel in their car and you can help them out, you're all set for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I filled a week or two old 1198 with deisel at Clacketts. It was 4am and I was about to go to Alps. The smoke when I fired her up was unbelievable. Esp for mate who was behind me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I use brake/chain cleaner without issue. I tend to spray on a rag then wipe down the exposed teeth on the sprocket then rotate and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information