1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearly The Bbc Doesn’t Live In The Real World

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by outintheopen, Jun 10, 2019.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. Philistines

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. And they are scrapping free TV license to over 75's - who have likely paid for 50 years already - fascists…..

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Well, someone has to pay Lineker's and Norton's salaries...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Or pay their employer NIC contributions?.....

5. I'd like two more national votes before I pop my cloggs, (1) to stop funding the bbc and (2) abolish the house of lords

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. I'm with you on the BBC thing but what would you have in place of the HoL? We need checks and balances vs The Commons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I think that was the intent at the beginning, that doesn't seem to be what it is now. If we didn't have one and someone was putting forward and idea for one, you know what would follow. If they are watching the politicians, who is watching the watchers even more so when the people cannot vote them in or out.

8. The HoL appears to be loaded with a bunch of ex-politicians (poacher turned gamekeeper?) politicians friends and descendants of royal court sycophants. We need a check on the system but the current one seems a tad out of touch to say the least.
    Vive la revolution...….

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Obviously this thread is going to wander off topic, so if the BBC need the money from the over 75's (which I don't think they do) I'd rather them re-coupe the money from a few discrete adverts between programs, not during programs.
    Or have another complete overall of there wage structure, I'm sure someone could do Gary Lineker's job for a quarter of his wage (£1.75m) and be happy with it
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Lineker doesn't receive a wage from the BBC.

His "management company" receives payment - said company declares its tax in Switzerland, not in the UK.

Apparently.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. I've not owned or watched a TV for many tears and I don't miss it. I still get threatening letters from the licensing people.
    Their brain washing certainly works; people will quote what they've heard on the beeb as though it were an indisputable fact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The hosts of these programs gain millions by distracting people from reality. Turned off my televisual programming (they program your brain) unit in 2012 & never looked back. Don't own one although I have several projectors & audiophile kit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. His fee or wage still comes out of the BBC coffers, and its too much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. On point (1). Just stop paying it, it couldn't be easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ummm, yes. My point being, that Lineker isn't an employee of the BBC, subject to PAYE, but instead is a sort of self-employed selling his "services" and, allegedly, thereby avoiding paying a good chunk of UK income tax.

Point of order though - the BBC does not have "coffers". No one has "coffers" this side of the 17th Century.

• Love You Love You x 1
  16. I agree whole heartedly regarding the HoL they've stopped some real shit laws going through, but not so the BBC, it's the only decent channel on the box. My criticism of the BBC would be the amount of bloody adverts they have between programs and the amount of repeats.

17. It can’t do: we’ve already established the the Scottishers made off with all of the coffers so the Beeb Beeb Ceeb don’t have any.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. a wee factoid.
    the BBC raises about £320 million from Scottish licence fee payers but only spent 54.6 per cent of that revenue in scotland. In contrast, Wales, has 95 per cent (£177.7m) of the £186.5m raised from licence fees spent in the country – though some of this is down to the demand for Welsh-language programmes. In Northern Ireland the figure was 74 per cent (£73.4m)

19. They don’t only make programmes for Wales in Wales. Dr Who is a notable production there.

As an aside, I’m really enjoying the rerun of ‘Your cheatin’ heart’ on BBC Scotland at the moment. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005fkx

Do Not Sell My Personal Information