1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Clearwater Lights Story

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by john clelland, Feb 10, 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wow, $640 to $1000 for a pair of LED lights!

3. i thought the same, until i rode with a pair of Darla LEDs on my 2010 Multi ... in the daytime, cars and trucks certainly noticed me much more, which is good... and riding in the evening and nighttime is considerably safer, as they increase the visibility tremendously.

so, i guess it just depends on what one values, as one can easily spend that much or more on a slip-on or a full exhaust system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Clearwater is over priced and under powered compared to Baja Designs

5. well, that's just like your opinion, man.

and, opinions are like assholes ... everyone has at least one and thinks that theirs does not stink.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Trying to sell something and then becoming aggressive to someone who does not agree with you looks very childish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Well if opinions are like assholes then what are facts like?
    A single Clearwater Darla 2000 lumens at $540, or the Baja Designs XL80 9500 lumens for $400. That even out performs Clearwaters top end Sevina.

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Most extra lights are a bonus, even more so if you have the occasional deer jumping out and trying to headbutt you as you two gentlemen do on your side of the pond.

On this side of the pond, not so much, we are more likely to get some yoof playing chicken and then try robbing you as you slow down. 13.8mph is the fastest attempt so far and that was in Liverrpool, they run fast there:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. My thoughts exactly! I guess if you have a vested interest it gets a bit personal. First time I've come across that sort of thing on this forum - it's one of the reasons I like it - not many instances of people being called a wanker.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Even though we all are :p

• Love You Love You x 1
  11. Speak for yourself :p

12. You can’t beat the real thing dude as well you know :cool::upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Wanker :D

14. Having run my own LED lighting company I think the retail on something as customised as these seems appropriate.
    Around 2002 / 2003 we were selling 1W LED bulbs for around £90 trade, into the Cinema industry.
    It all got too expensive to manufacture in the UK around 2005. I tried to bring in stuff from China, but we were too late. All the good stuff was tied up with exclusive deals to European distributors.
    By 2007 we had just a handful of die hard customers.
    Our WOW light was multicoloured, waterproof to 100m and 90W output (about 250W consumption). You couldn't run it above 40% power unless it was in water.
    It replaced the certikin swimming pool lights.
    £30K each with associated controls.
    CNC 316 Stainless Steel bodies, £3000 a set, nitrile o-rings £80, ballistic glass front £1225. 5W COB LEDs... our best product.
    You could buy a chinese copy for $300 today.

See if I can find a photo.

Looking at the initial posters film the castings (heatsinks) on each lamp could easily be £50 in small batches.

#16 AirCon, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2020
  15. Corrected for you :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. The bit I don't get is the argument seems to be about something being overpriced and cheaper options do a better job.....in a forum where people buy ducati's :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Surly that would be helpful to other forum members :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information