1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Clocks!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Wooly46, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Has anyone refurbed the clocks? If so I'm after some advice on getting the bezel off! It looks very brittle!!!! Cheers

#1 Wooly46, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. I did once, you can't get it off. I had to use a very fine saw and a lot of patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Did you just prize it?

4. You can press tools and then edit your post.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. No, I sawed the bezel off parallel to the face of the clock.
    I had broken the glass on my rev counter and couldn't find a P8 ecu specific replacement so bought a standard 916/748 tachometer and swapped the glass from one to the other.

6. Did you just glue it back together?

7. Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Although it seems crazy, I hundred percent agree with the Ricky X method, they just weren't designed to be disassembled and any attempts at prizing off will often end in just damaging the fixing ring.

9. What's your thoughts on a dremel with a fine cutting disc? Did you just saw it all the way round?

10. The thinner the blade the better.
    Just cut it all the way around, parallel to the face.

Why are you removing it anyway? Is the speedo broken?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've got a km clock and have now changed to a mph clock but it has less miles so wanted to get the mileage spot on!

12. A friend of mine used to own Superdials before he sold the business to Lockwood Dials. He showed me a couple of times how to dismantle the front bezel on both a 998 speedo and also on a temperature gauge. He was an instrument repairer by trade so he had the right feel for the job, it's not really for the faint hearted!

He would pierce the side of the bezel with a small soldering iron tip by the bezel ring enough to put a blunt bladed knife into the gap, very much like a small letter opener. He then carefully prised around the bezel ring cracking the glue away as he went. Clearly he was experienced at it as he could get the ring off in a matter of minutes with no damage.

To put the bezel back on he used an epoxy glue that while waterproof was soft enough to be broken again after the bezel had been put back.

Here is the result of the dial faces he changed on my 998. The mileage incidentally is coincidental but you can see the clocks were clearly quite new when he did this.

I did suffer a crack in the temperature gauge bezel after a few years and he used the same method to replace the bezel with one from a spare gauge I had, so the glue he used was totally correct for that application.

Clocks 998 .jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Is he the type of guy to do jobs for forum members? Cheers

14. No unfortunately not, he sold the business and now works for Mercedes Benz near Kew, so he is now totally out of the business. He did a few jobs for me just after closing shop but it has now been several years since he moved on to pastures new.

This person may be able to help though, I have spoken to him and have him lined up to replace my 998 bezels with alloy anodised ones when i can find the time. He seems to know his stuff.

Classic and Modern Motorcycle Speedo Repairs - Home

If you do decide to use him some feedback would be useful as i think I and other members might find him a viable source for repairs in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I've sent the speedo to Peter at the link you provided, seems like a nice guy, I'll pop up some feedback when I get it back, should be end of the week hopefully

16. Red, in 10 years I have only seen two 748/916/996/998 bikes with white clocks, yours in the picture on this thread and mine as fitted to my 748 when I bought it. I have the temp gauge problem and a spare one to donate the 'glass' but was too faint hearted to do the "damage". Were the clocks supplied white as OEM or were they modified?

upload_2017-5-4_20-45-55.png

17. I'd be interested to know what you think of his work as I too think that he knows his stuff and seemed quite happy to take on the work that I have lined up for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mine are a copy of Ducati Corse Items and were made up by Rob Driver when he owned Superdials. I was there when he made up the whole set from scratch, he allowed me to watch all his methods including being involved in the design and screen printing of the dials.

As mentioned he sold the business to Lockwood, so they should have all his design work and the program\s that he used to create the dials. He used an oldish Apple Mac at the time to do all the design work and then screen printed the dials and painted the needles by hand to match.

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials/mph.html

You can see from the link Lockwood now Incorporate Superdials into their business logo and are known as Lockwood International Superdials.

19. Well, I got the speedo back from Peter Bond and he's done a cracking job. Top job!

20. Would you be ok giving an approx idea of cost?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information