1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Clutch Basket Bolts And Centre Bolt Loctite ?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Apr 25, 2021.

1. So the manuals says Loctite 510 for the baskets bolts and loctite 128455 for the centre hub bolt.
    others say 246 instead of the 510

I can’t find the Loctite 128455 so what do others use instead.

thanks in advance

2. I use a lock and seal compound for the basket bolts and a normal red type compound for the centre nut.

3. Loctite red for normal bolts, Loctite green for ones that need a bit more security.

4. I can get loctite 270 for the main centre nut
    Hopefully that’s ok lol

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Theres also a Loctite Blue for things you really dont want to shift. I think its in that order. Red/Green/Blue - Normal/Medium/Strong

6. I tend to buy a pack with 5 bottles in it from my local motor factors. Low (purple), Medium (red) and High (blue) strength, a bearing lock and a pipe lock. I also use chain/brake cleaner to wipe the threads before applying thread lock. Andy

7. I'm sure that the green one is the 'really serious' one so worth a check.
    I've designed a lot of machinery around 243 - it's a really good 'medium-strength' importantly oil-resistant threadlock, which is good for most things you need to get apart again. It's blue, whereas the 'light-duty' threadlock such as 222 is pinky-red.
    Best thing is to look up the datasheets on the Henkel website.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The green was the one recommended in manual for the flywheel. I suspect you may be right as you seriously dont want that coming undone. I wish I could remember where i got all mine from when i did my sprag.

Ah, wait. It wasnt 'Loctite' twas another brand recommended in workshop manual. It was Three Bond. So my colours may differ. Sorry for confusion.

#9 bootsam, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information