1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Clutch Bleed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Thelord, May 27, 2018.

1. Hi all I was riding along minding my own business when a set of lights went to red, I could not go from 2nd to 1st and when I did I could not find neutral when I was stationary. So I cut short my ride and went back home to bleed the clutch system. Bleed the clutch system from the slave cylinder so nice new fluid in there with no air bubbles but I still couldn't feel any resistance in the clutch, so I bleed the primary and hay presto back to normal.
    How often do you guys and girls have to bleed the clutch system or do I have the start of a problem?

2. Can only talk for me, never had to rebleed when changing fluid unless I drain down the whole system.

When was the last time the fluid was changed? Usually in brake systems, you'll get a fluid leak before you'll get air in, but it sounds like something is starting to go, probably an O ring.

Nothing to worry about particularly, after redoing it I'd take a note of mileage and date of change and see if it happens again, if so I'd carefully inspect the system

One thing that I did that helps the process of bleeding is add a banjo/bleed bolt as I found this made it easier for me to bleed the system

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. No need to add a banjo bleed bolt is there? My 1098 has a bleed nipple at the lever end already as standard.

4. Not really Ricky I just found that it was a bit easier to bleed the slave that way, but I'm a pretty hopeless mechie.

If you had the system drained already it's not a biggie to do it, I wasn't advocating draining the system just to install one

5. The clutch fluid was new when I bought the bike last year (or so they say), I have left it stood for a while whilst I went abroad to work. I changed the fluid last night so I know it's right now, I also inspected the line and connections there is no sign of a leak. I will do as you say Old jock and just keep an eye on it, does anyone know of a primary clutch cylinder seal kit? I changed the levers about six months ago and I was messing about with the operating pin I wonder if I could have introduced something then.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information