1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Clutch Cover Repaint

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Paint bubbling and peeling off from clutch cover.
    My questions.....
    1. Is it powder coated or just mat black paint.
    2. If just painted what type of paint do you recommend.
    3. Any of you experienced similar issue and what was your solution
    Thanks

2. On which model??

3. Multi 1200s 2013

4. Ahh OK, the Dvt is gold, the earlier bike black, I'm not sure on the original coat but a few guys I know have gone for powder coating once the original coat bubbles

5. However, I think it's up to you, so long as it can stand a bit of temperature. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. @Wayne58 many thanks. I wonder what is the original coat.
    I guess powder coating will be the tougher of the two but that will mean removing from bike and also removing the glass/ plastic oil level window (if possible) - I don't think it can be coated with it on, it will probably melt or brake.

7. Not 100% sure mate, I would remove it, strip or sand it back, then use heat proof satin black, Will look just as good to most eyes, you tried asking Ducati about original finish? :)

8. Interested in the outcome here, as both clutch and LHS covers on mine look like they have mange. DUK weren't interested - a dealer (I think Snell's) told me that Ducati had switched to water-based coatings (from solvent-based) and didn't get it right. Mind you, Ducati engine finishes have never been what you'd call robust. One worry I have about getting them sand/grit blasted and powder coated is stuff staying in oil galleys - see other thread about main bearing failure from just that.

9. I have decided against the powder coating route - too much hassle and things to go wrong. I will go for a satin black high temperature paint, same as ones used on engine parts and brake calibers. Its quite tough paint.

I will remove the cover and use paint stripper to remove the old paint. I am thinking of using liquid mask to cover the letters instead of painting over them and then filing the paint off.

I did a quick, on situ, respray on the damaged area with normal black satin spray that happened to have lying around, just to make it look a bit decent. I didnt really do a good prep work as I will repaint the whole lot ....

Here is a picture of the temporary job.... unfortunately I didnt take a picture of the before...[​IMG]

#9 Stavrich, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. I have a similar problem on a 12 multistrada ! The paint has bubbled on mine in what appears to be in the same area . I put a coat of clear lacquer on mine which seems to have stopped further bubbling. Also ordered an R & G clutch cover which covers the whole area

11. I went the powder coating route, it is possible to remove the oil filler window, it's in a rubber seal and will pop out with a some careful pressure. If you are in the Hampshire area then Tadley engineering do a good job. When I got it back I used plenty of compressed air to cleanup any oil galleys.

12. I did a similar fix to mine, both the LH and RH covers. I also repainted the control lever clamps that the mirrors are mounted on. The most important thing was to use an etching primer first before applying the satin black.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information