1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Clutch Drum Nut Help

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by 748rdave, Aug 4, 2020.

1. I thought with a bit of forward planning all would be fairly easy until I tried to get the drum nut loose, can't move it. I have a hand held impact device but does not seem up to the job. Did try a little heat, still no joy. Any advice would be welcome.

PS I'm using a GB Automotive clutch holding tool.

2. Clarke electric impact gun £50 ish from Ebay
    I don’t use it often but when you do it’s worth it’s weight in gold

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Buy or borrow a breaker bar. A good sharp pull should get it. You can also use the bar on the 2 rear wheel nuts.

4. I am not sure, but worth checking it’s not a left hand thread!
    The head usually has a groove cut around the flats if it is.

5. No mention in the manual to being left hand thread just bloody tight.

6. Not LH thread but will/should be f'in tight.

Wouldn't heat it much as there's an oil seal in the shaft.

7. You need an impact gun or big breaker bar. Also, what sort of clutch holder tool do you have - I believe the plastic ones can be a bit brittle.

8. Only used the wife’s kitchen blow torch, so not much real heat.

GB Automotive clutch holder really well made and fits perfectly.

Looking at getting a Clark’s impact wrench

Thanks all

• Like Like x 2
  9. You won’t regret it, ^ as said, one of the best investment you could make for the money.

10. Chris which one do you have ? Clarks make a 320Nm and a 450.

11. Thanks Harry, i looked at that thread yesterday, but could not find it just now.

12. The Moss one for £50 is the same as the Clarke one, just cheaper :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Yeh just read the post again, off to Ebay for a look.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Off to Ebay

15. sorry, only just saw replies, as Harry said, just search for cheapest from a reliable supplier.

Re: Torque figure, you want the highest figure of course as long as the design is up to it/man enough - CEW1000 is 450 Nm.

EDIT - still catching up on latest posts - this looks the way to go if people are sure below is identical copy:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...=1619457839628b18382d22874733868e474d03cc61f2

#16 Chris, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  16. Pretty sure it's identical, different body colour and name sticker but the instructions actually use the reference CEW1000 :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. On it's way, thanks all

• Like Like x 3
  18. and me! - got a spare.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moss impact wrench arrived today less than 24hrs after the order, just waiting for the socket now.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information