1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Clutch Fluid Leak

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by John Bower, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Hi All,
    Help please. Discovered my 2015 MTS has started leaking fluid from the slave cylinder. Looking at the workshop manual I assumed it would be the two O-rings which would need replacing. With new O-ring to hand, I set about removing the slave cylinder.
    Once removed, there is no sign of any o-rings on the shaft nor in the slave cylinder.
    put it back together, any thoughts help would be greatly appreciated before contacting dealer.

regards....... john.

2. Ducati OE clutch slave cylinders have a (deserved) reputation for failing. I have replaced the slave cylinder with an Oberon on 4 of my 5 Ducatis, the Multistrada from new and the V4 will get replaced at the 1st annual service. Andy

3. The parts diagram suggests two o rings, What did you do, did you put them on anyway?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. No I didn't, I expected to find a couple of grooves on the shaft for the o ring to sit in but nothing. No sign of any o rings at all 20190726_171426.jpg

5. They are at the other end of the shaft. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Forget the O rings, if your clutch fluid is leaking it's the slave piston seals. You'll likely need a new complete slave cylinder

7. Thanks Taskmule, I'm starting to suspect that is the case. Logically, the main piston seal is the only place the fluid could be coming from. Looking at posts on here a lot of people have replaced the standard with Orberon cylinder. Could be the way forward!
    Thanks for the info.

8. No leaking here but did replace with Oberon. A little easier pull was a benefit. I've had problems with Duc slave cylinders on other bikes.

9. Yes, price an Oberon and a Ducati oem part. Likely the Oberon is the way to go

10. No o rings. Damage non repairable. Either get a new one under warranty if you still have any or buy an Oberon for peace of mind. An easy do yourself swap either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for the info Sotos. Contacted Dealer today, they confirmed new slave cylinder. They actually said the Oberon was a good replacement.
    Looks like an early birthday present for me.

12. Mine also started leaking in just a year (1260 PP). I went with CNC Racing slave as Oberon does not have one for 1260 (at least, last time I checked their website), and the cylinder is different from 1200 DVT. BTW, the best mod I've done to the bike so far. Much smoother clutch engagement.
    Also, I disassembled OEM slave cylinder and it's very easy to replace the seal if Ducati sells it separately

13. Even if Ducati don't sell the seal, just measure it. It is likely to be a common size.

14. I had a same problem, just take out completly long shaft (number 16) and you see a o ring on it probably o ring has been damaged or cracked just change it.

15. Yup, sort of a known issue. Mine went, just popped in an Oberon, bled it and job's a good 'un!

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information