1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Housing Bush

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by gaz92, Mar 8, 2020.

1. All,

Having been inspired (again) this time by Andy's Motorcycle Obsessions I set off sorting my casings out.

They have been aqua blasted. The guy said give them a wash out with warm soapy water to get all the media out. I did and got the pressure washer out and gave them a good blast. Got wet through so think I will do them again when it warms up.

First question has anyone done this. I know it would be better to put them in a parts washer or ultrasonic but can't seem to find anything around Sheffield area - anyone know anybody.

Second question relates to Clutch housing bush. I got carried away getting a list of seals together and thought I will add the large clutch housing seal and also there is a smaller seal.

Just pop the small seal out with a flat bladed screwdriver the manual said. It was a bit of a pig to say the least. Thinking I might have damaged the top of the bush I thought I would take that out as well. What could be the worst that could happen, look at it, it's only a pidddly little bush. After some heat, then some more heat and a blind bearing puller it's still in there. So does anyone have any ideas.

I took it up to about 130 deg C to be fair the puller is a little rounded on the end but I thought with the force I gave it it should have come out - it reminded me of the swing arm needle bearings they were difficult. Are these locktited in or is it heavy fit. Its a bit tight to try and cut and collapse it.

Anyway - HELP! and yes I know now I should have left it alone
    Clutch housing bush.jpg

Cheers Gaz

2. Probably safest to take it to a local engineering firm and have them press it out .

3. Broken hacksaw blade.....carefully cut the bush full length, then ease a small screwdriver down the outside of a cut edge so it bends in.....should be enough to loosen it.

4. Mark as per picture there is no pressing out. The 20mm I.D. bush has about 2mm wall and pressed up to a small shoulder so the best I can get on it is about a 1mm overlap.
    I think I will fettle my bearing puller to give the best engagement and give it another go. When pulling it last time I hand held the casing which moved when I slide puller bottomed out not transferring all the force. So I think I need to also get the casing rigid.
    Trying to split is on the list of options but think the shoulder will stop me from going all the way.
    If anyone has a bush could you let me know what the O.D. is.

Thanks all.

Cheers Gaz

5. Done.
    Had another go with puller but kept slipping through.
    As Arquebus said try and split it. I use a Dremel type rotory cutter with about 2-3mm cylindrical end on it, tried to be careful not to go through. Cut 2 slots about 10mm apart and peeled it back with small screw driver to get it started then small chisel.
    20200313_151139[1].jpg 20200313_152008[1].jpg 20200313_152337[1].jpg
    I pulled it out with my finger, did not seem to be any locktite just a tight fit with not much shoulder at the back to get hold of. Seems the only damage was getting the seal out. Need to get a few bit ordered from Cornerspeed now.

Cheers Gaz

6. Good job, but next time leave the bloody thing in! :)

7. I just cant help it.

Cheers Gaz

8. A clear case of Ducatitus Gaz, most of us have caught it.

9. Is that the condition where you throw money into a bottomless pit.
    I just unwrapped some parts from newspaper I put away and the date was 2011, so I have had it quite a while.

Cheers Gaz

Do Not Sell My Personal Information