1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Lever Pressure

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by bobhenry999, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Guys,
    Sorry to be a numptie, but I find that the pressure required to operate the clutch lever is so much greater than the Monster that I previously owned.
    Any ideas of how I might reduce the effort required at the lever. ?
    Bob

2. yes,, apparently you rearrange the plates

3. Rearranging the plates won't make any difference, but you can try 2 things, one is to spend quite a lot on a new slave cylinder from oberon or similar..........the easier and cheaper option is to remove two of the clutch springs along with the screws and cups. Leaving four in still gives enough pressure for the clutch to work, but makes it much lighter. You can always keep the two removed ones in your tool roll in case it starts to slip on the road, which it might when it gets really badly worn. The springs you remove have to be two opposites so it stays in balance

4. +1 on the clutch slave but I would say for the cost (90 quid) its quite a bit of difference - id hazard a guess on 20% lighter and smoother also. You could go the whole hog and replace the master also which is a bit extreme....I was in the very lucky position of having the master replaced with a beringer clutch master on my hyper when I got it and that coupled with an oberon slave gives me literally one finger clutch operation...

5. Try the spring removal route first. A bigger slave makes the lever easier to pull, but at the expense of less disengagement. Less disengagement makes the clutch more prone to dragging, especially if you have the slightest amount of air in the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The reference is to my experience of removing all the doubled up plain plates at the same time as starting with a friction plate. The reduced stack height has given me a much lighter lever due to reduced preload on the springs - two-finger light!
    No slippage either and not a trace of drag.
    My own arrangement involves the quiet clutch mod but if you are wedded to the 'music' of metal bashing metal, removing plates would still lighten the clutch, for free and without reducing the range of movement as is inherent in the Oberon solution.

8. Guys,
    Ordered an Oberon which was listed as fitting an 851, which arrived today.

Only problem is that there is only one threaded hole at the top, whereas my original cylinder has one at the top for the bleed screw, and one at the front for the hose/banjo bolt.
    Am I being a numpty and missing the bleeding obvious, or is the cylinder incorrect ?

Bob

9. Bleed
    Bleed nipple incorporated in the banjo?

10. Chaps,
    I have at last found the time to fit the Oberon slave cylinder, which took about 30 minutes including removing the fairing.
    With help from the supplier, I obtained a single banjo bolt/bleed valve, and it fitted perfectly, and I now have a much lighter clutch lever pressure, with no neutral problems.
    I can recommend the swap to anyone.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  11. heresy! It's meant to hurt, dammit!
    I'm not sure a bike qualifies as Italian without an equivocal neutral light...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information