1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Lever Weirdness

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Lazza, May 2, 2018.

1. Riding to work on Monday - clutch lever suddenly develops a problem. It appears to have a 'stop' pulled in half way ?? It feels like a mechanical / physical stop which I thought weird for a hydraulic clutch. The clutch worked still but only just, started to drag a little in traffic, but I was able to ride home again.

A mechanic friend has 'fixed' it - he took slave off and found the piston within was jamming so he inserted a small ballbearing. It appears to be working fine tho have yet to take it for a proper test ride. But he was really able to answer what caused it, other than blaming my fitment of DP pressure plate!

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this??

2. The clutch rod between the slave and the outer spring plate of the clutch has a 'top hat' on it (between rod and clutch outer). I think (I may be wrong) Could it have worn and pushed through? Although that doesnt explain why a ball bearing 'fixes' it. Personally, I'd replace slave and strip and examine clutch at my earliest convenience. 30m job to strip clutch and remove slave. I wouldnt rely on the fix as sods law, also known as Bootsy's Axiom, means that the fecker will give up at the worst moment, miles from home, in the middle of the night in the pissing rain and after forgetting to take your phone with you.

3. Top hat is fine! It all looks ok and eveything is tight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ok after the correct amount of investigation - I found the problem!! it turned out to be the large nut that hold clutch basket on had come loose!!! Finger loose! Tightened that up properly and everything was fine! (Yes I removed the previous ball bearing solution too)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Obviously, you know theres a lock bendable washer behind that nut usually. I assume yours didnt or that the bendy tab was ineffective.

Least it was a nice easy solution. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. No - no bendable washer behind the nut - I think there ought to have been a serrated washer (according to the 916 manual) which wasn’t there either! Washer that is theee is flat - never been bent - but she’s tight now!! Lucky escape really - tahabkfully I had an open cover and was able to see the plates where sitting out too far - and top plate shaving the basket a little and so I found the prob quickly! Closed cover and I wouldn’t have known till disaster struck!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information