1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Clutch Plates

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard R, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Before I order some OE Ducati plates (£217 inc vat) I thought I'd ask if there are any aftermarket parts that anyone can recommend... it has a 12 tooth basket slipper clutch, but I don't know what brand.... I see Ferrodo make some, I've always liked using well established brands. DSC_3084.JPG

2. I bought replacement steels from EVR and I’m pretty sure they do friction plates with either the (thicker) organic friction material or (thinner) ceramic friction material as well. IIRC, you use 7 organic friction plates or 9 ceramic friction plates. You need at least 2 x 1.5mm dished steel plates and a selection of 1.5mm and 2mm steel plates to make up a total pack height of 36.5mm. Talk to Craig in the parts department at Moto Rapido. He is very knowledgable and their postal rates are very competative. Andy

3. is this wear OK for the basket...
    IMG-20190130-WA0001.jpg

4. The problem with the later generation Ducati slipper clutches is the combination of steel pressure plates (friction plates are aluminium) and a hard anodised aluminium basket is the basket takes a pasting. I changed one at 6000 miles on my 1098R which looked about the same level of wear. Up to you but it hasn’t got a lot of life left in it. Andy

5. Do the steel plates not bear on the hub??

6. Buy a stm 48 tooth basket and plate set 300 quid on eBay Uk
    Fit that with your slipper

7. That looks a good shout.... Is it worth replacing the springs at the same time?

8. Hands up, no excuse. I do come out with bollocks on the odd occasion. Apologies. Andy

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. no not really...as long as they are all the same length.

10. if you dont mind waiting you can get the same evr or stm 48 basket and sintered plate set from italy a bit cheaper from omniaracing.

11. Cheers... Went with the UK supplier as I have a bit of time next week to get it sorted.

12. did they mention my commission....;):)

13. I think I may have ordered the wrong one... I ordered the one for a 1198s, and a 40.5mm stack has arrived.... Mine has an after market slipper, so am I correct in thinking that I should get a 36.5mm stack?

14. mate it won't really make any difference.

build the clutch drum outer and centre into the bike making sure all the washers and spacers are the correct way around and in the right place nut on torqued up

then starting with a friction, build it up plate after plate until you get to a steel last plate.

then measure (with a vernier) how far below the inner drum face the steel plate is holding the steel plate flat). As long as it is 4-5mm below the inner drum face you'll be good.

to achieve the 4-5mm below amount you'll need to swap out a 1.5mm plate for a 2mm plate or vice versa in as many places as is required.

Dont forget you have two dished plates that can be put somewhere in the middle of the stack.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. you sorted it yet?

16. Yes.... I swapped the 40.5 for a 36.5! Part should arrive today and my tech will be on with it this aft/tomorrow.... Tank and body work to fit and brake fluid change still to do then she'll be ready for the track!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information