1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Clutch Pressure Plate Advice ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Fastmonkey, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Took a punt on a box of bits from ebay and had a hunch that this might be a slipper clutch, turns out I don't think it is ! It does have a rather nice JHP pressure plate (I think that's what it's called).

Is this something that's easy to fit and compatible with the OEM clutch on my 996s that I could fit, I've got a nice Casoli open clutch cover I've never fitted, or should I just clean it up and put it back up for sale ! ?

JHP Pressure Plate.jpg

2. Are there teeth on the underside of the pressure plate? If not, then the plate is at least a slipper one.

3. 20200724_162545.jpg

4. It is a nice pressure plate and will replace the stock grey one if you want a little bling. I would keep the other stuff as spares. Did it come with a basket? That will be handy as it's a consumable part

5. Make sure you align that dot with a v on one of the spring posts when you fit it.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ok going to have a go at fitting this today, not opened up the clutch cover before, but I've got a nice Casoli open cover to fit and I think this JHP plate would look really good under that.

Step by step instructions, torque settings anything greatly appreciated !

7. Very quick and easy job, as I mentioned earlier align the dot on the pressure plate with the mark on one of the spring posts, when you tighten the spring caps they only want to be nipped up lightly, not sure of the torque settings but only light hand pressure. Nothing else to it really, when you remove the clutch cover make sure you get the bolts in the right order as I think they are different lengths.
    Steve

8. The external surfaces of the pressure plate bearing race are rusty so I'd fit a new one and your spring retaining caps have come into contact with a clutch cover whilst rotating. You need to compare the relative wear of what you have to what you bought and go with the best ...... which might not be the one you bought. Steve is correct, there are 3 different lengths of outer cover bolts. Andy

9. Also don't remove all bolts around clutch cover, some are engine casing bolts so if you look closely you will see which ones are required for removal :upyeah:

10. Ok so clutch cover off, is the dot on the JHP pressure plate corresponding with the arrow on the oem grey plate ? So remove springs and cap. Slide off oem plate put JHP one on with the dot in the same position as the arrow was, put springs back and hand tighten to nipped up ?

11. 20200803_195851.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The dot should line up with one of the pillars the pressure plate bolts go that has a groove in it, then yes finger tight bolts then nip up. 748clutch8_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dot should line up with the groove.

E42643E2-EEC8-4C11-82E7-F3EB041AC9F5.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Welcome to the world of car drivers and passers by telling you that “summat don’t sound right with that mate”

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Ok guys thanks for the advice I'll.pull it apart tomorrow and have a go.

• Like Like x 1
  16. When my neighbour asked why it sounded so rattly, I told him it was diesel - he seemed OK with that...

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Waiting at the traffic lights on Douglas front one evening with my 900SS clutch rattling away, two lads, from NI by their accents, advised me "that's knackered".
    To be fair it had done about 30,000 miles so they were nearly correct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I had a boss walk past me once in the car park about 20 years ago whilst warming up the Monster, he said 'that sounds fucked, just like the other bosses Fiat' I passed him rather quickly on the way home :D

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information