1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Clutch Question On 1199

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by dieonthishill, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Hey everyone,

Just picked up an 1199 and have a question. When the bike off, in first gear, and I pull the clutch in and try to push it, there is quite a bit of resistance. I put it on the stand and put it in first, pulled the clutch in, and try to spin the rear wheel and it is very hard to spin. Should this be happening? I have a V4 and when I replicate the steps, the wheel spins freely with the clutch pulled in with the bike in first.

Thoughts?

2. maybe a quick bleed of the clutch master cylinder is needed to give a full stroke of the slave cylinder.

3. Is the rear brake binding? Enough free play in the lever?

4. I'll probably give it a bleed but the lever feels really firm already.

Rear brake is not binding, if the bike is in neutral the rear wheel spins fine.

5. Does it still have the OEM clutch slave cylinder, or an after market part?

6. OEM

7. Open or closed clutch cover? If closed, take the cover off and blow out any dust inside with compressed air. Inspect the pressure plate . How far does it move when you pull the clutch? Is the basket badly notched where the plates hit it? If so these notches can prevent full disengagement leading to the clutch drag you describe.

8. It's a wet clutch, so the cover is closed.

9. My 899 is the same and always has been, I even changed the slave to Oberon and it was the same. It’s only a slight drag on mine though.

10. Ah, sorry. Thought it was an 1198. Only out by one!

11. When is the last time the oil was changed and does it have the correct grade oil in it?

What you’re describing sounds like clutch drag due to the thick cold oil clinging onto the plates.

Does it improve when the engine is heated up?

My Multi V4S (first wet clutch Ducati I’ve ever had) is the same when cold and I know it’s got the correct oil in. Once warmed up however, it’s completely different and the drag has disappeared.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information