1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Clutch Question...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Mar 23, 2018.

1. I seem to have a bit of a problem with the clutch on my 1198S. I have to keep bleeding it, like every two or three times I ride it... I use a Mitivac pump to do the bleeding, and there is always air at the top bleed nipple - not much, and the clutch feels fine for a while after bleeding. There is no sign of any leakage of clutch fluid either around the master or slave cylinders (both OEM items).

Any thoughts?

2. A seal gone somewhere in the circuit? :thinkingface: It certainly sounds like it's drawing in air. :( For me, it can only really be the master or slave cylinders.

3. This problem isn't getting any better so I guess some more investigation is called for. Does anyone know if overhaul kits (new seals etc) are available for the slave and master cylinders? Also, I read somewhere that the bearing on the clutch release plate can stick/seize, causing the rod to rotate - likely?

Thanks

4. Its probably the master cylinder. Same problem on my 1299s. I had the OEM master replaced. The new one was better for a while but is getting worse. I carry a spanner now so that it can be bled as required. The bearing on the end of the push rod can seize. Assuming your bike still has its original clutch and cover fitted, you can take off the cover, undo the bolts on the ends of the posts and withdraw the plate and rod (be careful of the ‘o’ rings on the rod) and test the bearing. Do not over-tighten the bolts when re-assembling!

5. Thanks for that. When I do bleed the system, I seem to get more air out from the top bleed nipple than the one on the slave cylinder, but I wasn't sure if that meant the problem was with the master cylinder of if it was just because air rises! I'll take the cover plate off the clutch and have a look at the bearing, though I suspect the hydraulics.

I'll also start carrying a spanner!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information