1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, May 6, 2017.

1. Evening.

Fitted a Ducabike slipper. Working very nicely as a slipper.

Q's:
    1: bit grabby. Stack height need altering or maybe an extra dished one somewhere?
    B: I think I have the OEM friction plates (steel?). Will that be why its so loud? Smashing my nice new alloy basket to bits? Should I buy a new set of alloy friction plates?Look at this on eBay Ducati 748 749 916 996 998 999 999S 916S 748S dry clutch plates Kit lamellar | eBay

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Bit of lithium grease make it better.... Use it really sparingly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Did you cook? Or just wipe on/wipe off karate kid style?

4. Wax on wax off stylee... But cooking them apparently is the best way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. As it's a slipper itll need a quick service every 1k or so, so I do it then... Unless yours is a ramp type slipper. Mine is a ball bearing based system...

6. I hope you don't really mean steel friction plates, they will totally shag your basket in no time. Alloy basket needs alloy friction plates although you have no option with the compression plates. Look for a stack height between 36 and 36.5mm and use 2 dished steels. If it is still very grabby, I been told to try 4 dished plates but that really depends on how many 1.5 and 2mm steels you are using. I've never used the lithium grease solution although some on here have successfully. My 748R 3 ramp (no balls) clutch on the 853 gets a clean every 600 miles ish. Andy

7. It's not the stack height that you need to measure. It's the distance from the drum to the last plate fitted on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Normal plates will be steel yes? I'll order the eBay ones tomorrow.

Do the dished plates go . (dot) out?

9. [QUOTE="Cream_Revenge, post: 916980,] Do the dished plates go . (dot) out [/QUOTE]
    Like 2 saucers, either rims together or bases together with a friction between. I hate to disagree with DD but as you do not have a choice of spring rates and spring cap thicknesses to adjust the compression, stack height is your only way of adjustment. Finding the sweet spot is a challenge but worth the effort. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. New frictions arrive. Can't get the stack height right :Banghead:. It either slips or drags. I need a 1.8mm or 1.7mm drive plate I think as 2mm drags and 1.5mm slips.

Do they even exist? If not, i'll just have to live with drag until the plates bed in I guess......

11. Not that I know of. What you got in the stack, organic or sintered friction ? You might need to finish with 2 steels. Andy

12. Start with a friction and end up with the last plate 4-5mm below the drum.

13. The extra dished steel always works for me :upyeah:

14. How thick are the plates ? Andy

15. Friction are 3mm

From bike out I have:
    Friction 3mm
    Dish out 1.5mm
    F - 3mm
    D - in 1.5mm
    F - 3mm
    Steel - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 1.4mm
    S - 1.4mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm

Total = 34.8

But when I actually measure the stack it's about 36.6 (somehow). Which just does not add up!

With that setup neutral is tricky and i'm getting slight drag so it needs dropping a pit.

Before I had the 2x1.4mm swapped with a 2mm and the 2nd 1.5mm dished swapped with a 2mm. So that was 0.3mm less and i had slip!

16. The words I've got call for 7 friction. The dished plates whilst 1.5mm steel are a little thicker uncompressed. Andy

17. Yeah, I have 7 friction.

Just been for a remeasure and as you say the dish are actually about 2mm laid flat although the metal is 1.5mm if that makes sense.

Also the 1.4mm are actually more like 1.5mm

so:
    From bike out I have:
    Friction 3mm
    Dish out 2mm
    F - 3mm
    D - in 2mm
    F - 3mm
    Steel - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 1.5mm
    S - 1.5mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm
    F - 3mm
    S - 2mm

Total = 36mm

I think I'll try taking out a normal 2mm and swapping for a dish.

Q: Would it matter which normal 2mm steel I swap for a dished one and which way it faces? the inner 2 face each other.

18. Google also tells me any double stacked steels should be at the top/outside of the stack, will try that tomorrow too.

19. Yes, sorry about that, I can't count. Google "Bucci" and it should come back with a 4 page instruction manual. Page 2 has pictures and specifics. If I could work out how to post it on here I would. As far as I know, all the generic slipper clutches follow the Bucci pattern. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information