1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Clutch Springs

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Just fitted new shiny clutch springs, should the bolts that hold the clutch caps and springs be tightend to were the bolts bottom out? If I do that the springs seem to coil bound when the lever is pulled all the way in, is it ok to run with them not tightend all the way toll the bolts bottom out?

2. If I go to the bottom with the bolts even with a small pinch the springs seem to bottom out so I guess I need to put yhe standard ones back in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don’t leave them untightened.
    If they are coil bound, there may be another issue.
    Are they the same length as the ones you replaced?

4. Just measured one they seem to be the same length, but the caps are new as well the middle part of the cap the bit that sits inside the spring isnt as long as the standard ones maybe it needs to be longer to stop the spring going sideways and coil bound? what do you think? I might try the new springs with the old caos and if thst doesnt work the old springs with the new caps?

5. Sounds like the caps could be the problem.
    If the middle bit isn’t as long (deep?) the screw will pull the spring down more before it bottoms out.
    Try the new spring old cap combo to see if that’s the problem.

6. I had a similar issue with stainless springs. I put a small washer under each cap and that sorted it, the washers are as wide as the posts. It`s been like this for maybe three-ish years with no problems.

7. I didnt know that, but I will check that tonight, the plate didnt sit right and I had to spin it before it would sit right so I think it is in the right place?

8. Where did the washers go? Under the bolthead so they sit in the recess inside the cap
    Thanks

9. proxy.php
    Not sure if i linked this correctly but look at the top right and zoom in there is an arrow pointing to one of the pots with a slot in it, this is from my 748

If not this link page 4 scroll down a few more photos.
    748 Tidy Up

• Like Like x 1
  10. The washers go under the caps so they are on top of each posts.
    My springs are 1mm shorter than standard. Without the washers, I get maybe a 1/3 of the lever travel before the springs become coil bound.
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/clutch-springs.26534/

Definitely check the pressure plate is aligned correctly as already said, and the splines on the pressure plate and the clutch hub have engaged correctly.

11. Checked the alignment of the plate it somehow (pure luck) was in the right position, the problem was the caps because they are not as deep they crush the springs more, so the washers inbetween the post and the bottom of the caps fixes it.

Thanks for all the help

• Like Like x 2
  12. When i brought my Ducabike springs/caps they came with washers and instructions with a list of about 3 Ducati models that needed them, a 748 was not on the list.

13. Yeh its a bit of a faff getting the washers and the caps on, but the aftermarket caps are not as deep so the bolt goes in further the only other way woukd be to loctite the bolts before they are completly down, I shoukd have taken photos I will do that next time its in bits

14. Can you remember which 3 models it says need the washers?
    I'd be interested to know.[/QUOTE]

Just been to the garage and had a rummage about and found this,didnt think i still had it.
    As you can see some have no washer's and others one/two.
    SBK, (i assume is most sports bikes)
    Monster
    Hym
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. The washers are a heath robinson cure for incorrect caps, the spring caps can or could be purchased with different depths, incorrect springs with the wrong caps can give a lighter clutch lever or coil binding, I have two sets of caps with different offset.
    I wouldn't leave the bolts in any other way than firmly tightened up against the posts, with or without washers.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Didn't know they could possibly come in different sizes,

17. Hope I`m not teaching Granny how to suck eggs and I apologize if I am, but I hope this makes sense. If you put the caphead bolt on the allen key, then the cap on the bolt, then the washer and then the spring, then you can guide the whole lot into place, one hand holding the allen key, the other holding the spring, without any problems.
    Do not put loctite anywhere near the bolts or posts. I put a light smear of copper grease on the threads, then the bolts only need gently nipping up, a T-bar allen key is the ideal tool for this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Yes thats how I did it, but first time I had the bike on the side stand so everytime I put bolt near the clutch the washers slid off, put it on the paddock stand and it was a lot easier (doh!)

19. I got stainless springs, bolts and anodised caps for my 999 from Avanti Racing, @antonye on here.
    Everything fitted and worked perfectly, all at a very reasonable price. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information