1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Clutch Stack Height Aptc

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by m@tt, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Does anyone know the clutch stack height for a 2016 with APTC clutch .
    I’m fitting new clutch plates , and the stack looks too high. I’m waiting for some of the little springs to arrive before I can put it back together properly , but it looks so high that the last plate will only just fit in the basket
    All I can find online is a manual that shows a non slipper clutch I think and it states different plate thicknesses to those that are fitted to the bike.
    I seem to have thicker fibres (3.5mm) , and a few more of the thicker steel 2.5mm plates . I assume I can remove a couple of plates as long as the stack height is correct ?
    Anyone had a similar issue ?

78732BCB-8A25-47C9-ADBD-83182BD685FE.png

2. Until your post, I had no idea Ducati fitted two distinct makes of clutch (FCC & APTC) to a range of bikes and having just seen an advert for a set of FCC plates, it’s not clear if all Icons got the APTC clutch or there is a mix. I can’t answer your question but as an Icon owner, I’ll follow with interest. Andy

3. @m@tt, I suppose there isn’t a chance you have been sent a clutch pack for an FCC clutch ? The stack height for it is significantly thicker than an APTC clutch pack. Andy

4. I don’t think so , unless the FCC also has one fibre that’s thinner? If it does then that could be the case
    Springs arrived today so I’ll give it a go tomorrow

5. I've been looking through the various manuals I have and see that the 1200 Monster uses an FCC clutch.
    From the manual:
    Clutch pack exploded view colour coding:
    - brown: driving plates (2.8 mm thickness);
    - purple: first driven plate (2.0 mm thickness);
    - light blue: driven plates (2.0 mm thickness);
    - grey: vibration damping Belleville washer (1.0 mm thickness);
    - green: vibration damping plate (1.2 mm thickness).
    Thickness of complete clutch plate pack (driving and driven plates only): 50.8 (+0.3; – 0.7) mm.

Fit the clutch plates (11) in the following order:
    on drum (3):
    - a set of ten driving plates (L) alternately to nine driven plates (I) 2 mm thick;
    on the pusher plate (4):
    - one driven plate (H) 2 mm thick;
    - one driving plate (L).
    Ignore the colours, they just distinguish the parts in the diagram.

The 821 Monster clutch appears to be the same as the Scrambler and gives:
    The plate pack (9) consists of:
    - 10 driving plates (A): 3.5 mm thickness;
    - 9 driven plates (B): 1.5 mm thickness;
    - 1 driving plate (C): 3.5 mm thickness;
    - 1 anti juddering spacer (D): 1.6 mm thickness;
    - 1 Belleville washer (E): 1.5 mm thickness;
    - 1 driven plate (F): 1.5 mm thickness.
    Plate pack thickness: 53.5 ± 1.2 mm
    I don't know if that helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. That’s interesting Derek. I have learnt in the last couple of days, if your Scrambler 803cc was built in Thailand, it would most likely be fitted with an FCC and if you scrambler was built in Italy, it would most likely be fitted with the APTC. @m@tt, where was your Icon built ? Andy

7. There are two types fitted to the 2016 bike. APTC and FCC. The APTC has six screws on the pusher plate (the one in your post), the FCC just three. APTC clutch pack part number is 19020312A. The FCC part number is 19020531A

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. My Classic is a 2015 built in Italy. So at least I know now that it definitely has a APTC clutch.

9. I wouldn't bank on it Derek. 2015 is showing the same on the parts fiche ;)

10. Ah well. I guess I'll find out when I eventually need to replace the plates, hopefully not for many miles yet.
    Edit: I just checked and see that both clutches are listed for 2015 models.

11. Thanks Nelly , it’s your old bike funnily enough.
    Now resolved , I fitted new fibres and the 3 small springs as one had broken , the steels were fine. I’m sure a new Ducati kit would have the right stack height , but removing a steel and leaving out one fibre had done the trick.
    Managed to test ride before the rain started again and it’s all lovely

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nelly would know better than me .. it’s his old bike :)

13. Thanks

Interestingly , this bike had
    - 3 driven plates 3.0mm thickness
    - 5 driven plates 2.0mm thickness
    - 2 driven plate 1.5 mm thickness
    Plus the 11 driving plates at 3.5mm

I ended up with 55 mm after leaving out a fibre and a 2mm plate

Do Not Sell My Personal Information