1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Clutchless Gear Changes

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Quick one

Alot of people tell me it is ok to go up the box without using the clutch , just momentarily come off throttle

I am under the impression this will cause alot of unnecessary wear n tear to the gear box?

Why only up the gears and not down the gears ?

2. because up the gear the higher ratio is spinning slower...engine revs to output revs, down is higher and harder to engage thats why down shift will have an auto blip to match the engine to the wheel speed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fbd.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. get a quick shifter....you won't regret it!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Get a quick shifter and a nova gear box.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. In any given vehicle, if you match engine speed to the speed of the gearbox then changing up or down and shifting at the optimum moment will be fine. It's a matter of practice. If your bike isn't designed to work with a quick-shifter then there's a good chance that having one will accelerate gearbox wear. Also on a 748, if you need a quick shifter then I pity you... :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm quite good at using the clutch and don't seem to have any problems!

8. On a full track day , your tendon gets extremely fatigued, driving home, agony

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Throttle blipping clutchless downshifts are ok on the road but not sure will be quick enough for track use.

10. Must admit I put a quick shifter on my gsxr track bike and my hands and wrists are so much better, so much less clutching .

11. It will still be a 748... revel in what it is rather than agonising over what it isn't. You have grunt on your side compared to a 600/750 IL4 and can ride the thing accordingly. Spend the money on petrol, learn to upshift without a clutch and clutch down. Apart from anything else, the hydraulic clutch on a 748 isn't that heavy. If yours is then spend the money on an Oberon / RSR Moto clutch slave rather than a QS IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. As above.....just get an Oberon slave cylinder which will make the clutch action lighter. Same with brakes, you can get a different brembo one.

13. I have the oberon and RCS17 Clutch setup with an Stm slipper

Was curious if up shifting will damage the gearbox, no interest in a quick shifter

I like using the clutch lever, would be nice to clutch less upshift if my tendon starts to get fatigued

14. Practice and go for it! :)

15. i have always up shifted without the clutch .i just put a bit of upward pressure on the gear lever and subconsciously just let off the throttle a tiny bit and it drops in .The problem i have now is that my tuono has a quick shifter and i keep accidentally going up the gears because i put pressure under the lever .

• Like Like x 1
  16. The good thing about a clutch less change is if you take a pillion on the bike ,they don't headbutt you like they do when you do a clutched change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Upshift without the clutch. Downshift should be when hard on the brakes, clutch in and seamlessly down the right number of gears for when you re-engage the clutch as you trail brake and tip in.

18. If done sweetly there will be no damage in either direction but imho, best reserved for relaxed riding.

19. Just give it a try, once you have done it a few times and see how smoothly it can be done you`ll wonder why you didnt try earlier. Best not done below 30mph or between 1st-2nd though in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information