1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Cnc Racing Clutch Slave Cylinder

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Regenwulf, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Hi all,

I'm aware that there were some design issues associated with the 1199 (and possibly 1299?) clutch slave cylinder, and indeed a recall. I have no idea whether my bike had the recall work done, and in any event it is a little heavy, so I've decided to buy one of the upgraded replacement versions available from CNC Racing (I now there are also versions from Oberon, AEM etc).

I think the original is 26mm but there are bigger 28mm and 30mm options which should lighten the action a little. The question is which one? I'm inclined to go for 28mm to just benefit from a modest change (it's not *that* heavy) but is this silly and the 30mm lightest action a more obvious choice?

Any views?

Cheers,

RW

2. TBH, Ive never noticed the clutch becoming 'lighter' using any of the usual aftermarket slaves. I just fit them to avoid the eventual failure of the oem ones. I had my 1299 a week before i binned the oem and fitted Oberon and my old 1198 one gave up the ghost after 1 yr from new. My 916 had two oem before I slipped on a cnc one. It been on for fuck nose how many yrs now. :) At least 10.

Ive often wonderd though if a brembo master may be the way to go for a lighter clutch as I have reduced grip on left hand with only two functional fingers. Fortunately the necessary two for any frenchies reading this. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. I’ve a 2015 1299S.
    Gone through 2 OEM, a CNC and now on an Oberon slave.
    Hope it last longer than the previous 3

4. Is the oberon slave a worth while improvement in both function and reliability?

5. I understand that it's mainly the reliability that is improved, although if you go for a bigger than standard unit it will also lighten the action.

A review on Design Corse suggests that the Oberon reuses some of the original parts, whereas the same isn't said about the more expensive CNC unit - on that basis I've assumed the CNC unit was the better shout, although per the above I'm a little uncertain what size is best to go for.

6. What original parts does the Oberon reuse

7. No idea - just something someone said in their review.

8. Ducati Clutch Slave 30mm Cylinder 'Gear' Actuator By CNC Racing.

The reduction in force needed to engage your clutch lever is reduced by around 30% and will make changing gears more slicker and less clunky. On the top of the clutch slave cylinder is the CNC Racing logo into the design. The overall design is simplistic with "GEAR" mechanism style as the aim behind this upgrade was to improve the usability of your Ducati and for the clutch slave cylinder to blend into the overall look of your bike. There are multiple colours to choose from making your bike totally unique.

https://www.designcorse.com/products/ducati-dry-clutch-slave-30mm-cylinder-gear-cnc-racing

They claim 30% improvement. it costs a bit more but if you're going to change it you might as well imo

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. I can’t see 1199 on the list of bikes, does it fit?

10. Yep - loads of options for the 1199 on Design corse

11. Not sure which review you read but the Oberon is a like for like direct replacement and the package comes with everything you need. IIRC it even includes 3 new bolts. The Oberon slave cylinder is my preferred upgrade and have them fitted to my 1200 Multistrada, 748R, 853 track bike and my 1098R. Andy

12. AFAIK Oberon is an "improved" standard slave. The 30mm CNC is a different beast which reduces the pull by 30% and costs more because of it. They are both good but not really the same thing.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  13. I’ve no idea what the bloke is talking about unless it’s the banjo/bleed nipple bolt and copper crush washers which you don’t get in any slave cylinder kit (ASFAIK). Oberon piston is 29mm diameter which one feed back seemed to think reduced the pull by 40%, measured using a fish scale (?). IMO, the CNC is about style as well as function where the Oberon pays lip service by offering different coloured bodies. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Oberon it is then!

15. From the Oberon website:
    "The enhanced 29mm piston reduces the heaviness of the original clutch action and brings much relief to aching arms."

Hydraulic clutches work by a small piston pushing a column of fluid to a large piston, thus providing mechanical advantage to overcome the clutch springs and actuate the clutch.
    The centimetres of movement at the clutch lever are translated to millimetres of movement at the pressure plate.
    The Oberon has an even larger(29mm) slave piston, so the action of the clutch lever is 'geared down' even more. This gives a lighter action but at the expense of range of movement of the rod and pressure plate. This means clutch drag is a bigger risk, so the fluid has to be very efficiently bled of air bubbles, which will compress, robbing the system of even more movement.
    Going to 30mm will make the risk of drag even greater as even more range of movement will be sacrificed in the interest of a lighter action.

#17 Old rider, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  16. Andy - I realise this is quite an old thread, but did you fit the Oberon cylinder to your 1098R because you had to keep bleeding the clutch line (as I have to do on my 1198S)? If so, did it fix the problem?

Thanks

Andrew

17. I changed the OE slave cylinder on the 1098R by choice in the knowledge that it would let me down on track eventually. The 748R OE slave cylinder failed in the fashion you describe and yes, it cured the problem. Andy

18. Many thanks, looks like I need something from Oberon!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information