1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Cobrra Nemo 2 Install

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Veetwin, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Just installed a Cobrra Nemo 2 Chain Oiler on my 1260, I like the simplicity and the fact that it needs no vacuum or wiring. Thanks to @aero for the idea.
    Easy to fit the reservoir on the water pump bolt, fitting the chain oiler was more of a challenge, I don't like long hoses near the rear wheel / sprocket so looked at the front sprocket and finally decided to tie wrap the dispenser bracket (had to drill two holes for the tie wraps in the dispenser bracket) to the top Chain guard (four small holes in the plastic chain guard) and drop the oil onto the lower chain run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick test and after getting rid of the excess oil that I dropped on the chain in the set up it seems to work really well - we will see.

http://www.cobrra.co.uk/product/cobrra-nemo-2-kit/

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. What sort of oil does it use? I had a pro-oiler from belgium and it just used engine oil. Did a good job but in the end, the mess it made got to me. The chain and sprockets lasted 55,000km

3. Oil type is in the link. Three types to be used, one for normal riding, one for high speed riding and one for wet weather riding. Would be a pain having to change the oil in this thing in the middle of Europe because it has started raining.

4. Does it drip consistently or is there a valve to isolate it when the bikes not in use?
    On long journeys I tend to carry a small aerosol of chain lube to spray on if necessary.
    Looks like a well made unit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I use Scottoiler lube in mine. Works by hydraulic pressure. You just turn the cap a quarter of a turn each time you fill up and it feeds for 3 minutes.

6. Cobrra say - lubrication with ordinary 80W-90 transmission oil, adhesive oil for riding at high speed, BIO oil for riding outside roads, or any other suitable oil. I am using some Scotoiler chain oil as it was given to me by a mate :). I doubt it needs any change of oil for wet riding just oil more frequently.
    Once it is set up a 90 degree turn gives a 3 minute drip time of oil - then it stops dripping onto the chain, they say that is good for 200 miles or a refuel. No valve just pressure activated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looks good, i'm fitting a Scottoiler (already bought now) but if I had seen this i'd have gone this route I think instead.

8. Not a fan of auto Oiler’s. They encourage lack of chain maintenance imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I use the Nemo since +10tkm and i'm really satisfied with this toy.
    Really reliable and a 4000 km trip over Balkans without any chain maintenance even impress also my 2 BMW buddies ;)
    I decrease the oiling intervals and i had to refill the reservoir more often than Nemo recommends.
    Chain looks always clean. I use cheap 80/90 oil (1l for €5.-).... so the consumption is ok
    I can recommend this part.

-faxxe

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thank you @Veetwin for this thread I shall copy your fixing.

Did you bike come with that white water pump cover? as mine has a much larger black plastic cover with a piece of foam under it.

11. The "white" water pump cover is actually an alloy Rizoma part, the dealer I use hates the black plastic / foam cover so removes them and puts on a Rizoma part - looks so much better. The plastic / foam is there for noise damping reasons nothing to do with protection at all.

An update on the NEMO - all is good BUT don't use Scotoiler oil in the NEMO! It is too thin and drips too long and makes a mess (I only used it as it was a given to me by a mate - he can have it back now !). I have now flushed it out and replaced with 80W/90 gear oil and that seems much better.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. "The "white" water pump cover is actually an alloy Rizoma part, the dealer I use hates the black plastic / foam cover so removes them and puts on a Rizoma part - looks so much better. The plastic / foam is there for noise damping reasons nothing to do with protection at all."

Many thanks for that. The foam beneath the black cover holds the moisture, road salt etc. and could cause corrosion to set in.

13. Old thread updated after a query from Nigel about mounting the oil dispenser pipe, in the original position on the lower chain run it did work for while and then the chain hit the oiler pipe. No issues caused and never any oil on the tyre but the end of pipe did get squashed so I ended up moving the pipe to a better location.
    I made up a small bracket / arm from 2mm alloy to hold the pipe above the chain close to the front sprocket and it is now mounted behind the front sprocket cover so can't be seen at all.

The bracket is shown in the photo below

Oil outlet pipe.jpg
    The alloy is bent round at one end to hold the pipe and a hole drilled in the other end to attach it to the Allen headed bolt just above it. much better install and no issues for the last 5k miles and completely hidden from view.

Makes a chain drive almost as easy as a belt to maintain - but that is another thread :)

• Like Like x 5
  14. That is ingenious, Veetwin. Thanks for posting.
    I have located mine in the same place now but used a bit of wire coiled round the feed pipe to deliver the oil to the correct place.
    Nice one.

15. I wonder in the direction of recycling, when you did an oil change, run it through a coffee filter as it comes out and into a bowl/container and then use that oil for this system?

16. I think used engine oil would be too thin for the Nemo - they recommend using 80/90 Gear oil and a litre of that lasts a long time!

17. Thinking of an oiler to fit just while away for 2 weeks touring around Europe. looked at most of the oilers on the market and find them all fairly expensive. Also like this idea and also where Veetwin has installed it and while searching the net found this Chinese one, (has nemo2 on product) and think for the price its worth a punt ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automati...sal/264529655666?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'll take a punt on that!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I use Wurth dry lube....
    No mess, 1 chain adjustment in 12000 miles, no rust and a quick spray every 200 miles, or at the end of a days riding.

and no fitting

• Like Like x 1
  20. I also use wurth dry chain lube and have done for years:upyeah: but when I'm away touring i find it a ball ache when after a full days riding I have to remove the luggage, tip the bike over on the side stand, get the wife to hold the bike in position while i spin the tyre and re-grease the chain every day .... and before you say 'why don't you use the centre stand' simple answer, I don't like parts grounding when leaned over mid corner;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information