1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cochem And The Nordschleife 8th -11th Sept

Discussion in 'Touring' started by damodici, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Due to cabin fever me and a mate are heading back over to Germany for the 2nd time this year a week tomorrow.

We're taking the ferry out from Hull on the evening of Thursday 7th September and this time we're staying in an apartment in Cochem Friday through until Monday before we take the long ride home back via the Eurotunnel.

DTM is at the Nurburgring (gp track) that weekend but the Nordschleife and tourist rides are open all day Saturday and Sunday so will obviously pop down there for an hour or so each day. Probably take some rides out further south of Cochem too as there's some excellent roads we found last time out.

If any of you are planning a trip over do make sure you say hello when you see a brit riding a Ktm superduke 1290se and his mate on a Suzuki naked gsxrxsrxrrrr (Thing)

Cheers :upyeah:

Ps- I'll update the thread with a few pictures along the way

• Like Like x 1
  2. Will see you guys when over here
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Definitely Roy, be nice to see that close up :upyeah:

4. Can I use a track bike on the ring, would'ya know?

5. Don't think so, it's technically a toll road so as far as I know it has to be road legal...but i may be wrong

6. Love cochem. Stayed there several times, as it makes every ride a great ride!

Not jealous at all. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Meh!

8. What a coincidence !

Me and some friends are heading over Saturday 9th until the 12th!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Probably see you around on the Sunday I suspect then.

How you making the crossing on the Saturday, eurotunnel and via Belgium etc? Or is it an overnight ferry on the Saturday?

10. Lovely place isn't it.

We always ride over there each year we've visited, normally stay in Barweiler but I think due to the DTM at the ring everywhere local is just packed so I found a nice apartment with private garage just 600m from the castle.

It'll make a nice change though as at least we can go to different restaurants at night and sort breakfast at our own pace

11. Do you not have a road bike, or maybe put a daytime mot on the track bike?

12. Tunnel and riding up mate :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't have any of my bikes registered and we don't have MOT's over here. Might just wing it!

14. Dont do it, simply not worth the risk, the consequences if something goes wrong just aint worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The only way you will get on is if the bike appears to have road kit fitted to comply with german road traffic law. It would need indicators, mirrors (bar-end would do), a registration plate and front and rear lights (projector would do). People run very stripped down road bikes but they need the sbove to get past the marshalls, bear in mind most of the gate marshalls are current or retired coppers, so they know the games people play to bend the rules ;-)
    Edit to add that if you feel the need to wing it with no legal status for the bike being on a public highway, then just prey the polizei don't have to attend an incident involving your bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As above, I'd be extremely averse to taking a bike that does not have all the right paperwork as from experience the marshalls and police are super on the ball and you will get royally screwed if you are involved in an accident and riding illegally. They seem to be particularly switched on to Brits coming out on dodgy bikes and cars as well.

17. I'm back out there this weekend or next week as the car was left there after a problem last weekend and I need to pick it up. The plan is to do a few days evening sessions if the car is all good and catch up with @doogalman for hugs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Not the new one?!

19. Yep doh! simple metal coolant pipe fix fingers crossed but not clever at all dumping it's fluids on the track :( It's never been used properly before and looks like it's rattled this pipe out with the heat/contraction. I hope there's no further issues.

20. I do love a good hug, will have to jump in for some laps.
    I'll bring a yellow flag ;-)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information