1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Code Reader / Diagnostic Tool

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mobile Chicane, May 9, 2020.

1. Has anyone managed to sort any kind of inexpensive (sub £100) code reader that can be used on the 1200 dvt multistrada or simular machines even somthing that would also work on other manafacturers machines as well.

2. Please download the freeware app melcodiag.

https://jpdiag.akress.com/

See the faq section of the forum - there's a thread on there for beginners on how to use it .

Basically buy two sets of leads, install software, get software activated (free key is made based on your ECU serial) and then your good to go for reading all the ECU error codes etc.

3. ^+1 what GoeorgeO said.
    You'll need good cables to interface as well. The newer Ducati's use 4 pins.
    https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-OBD-Diagnostic-Cables/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-Ducatidiag-Hardware

With this set-up including the Melcodiag software, I'm able to read the codes and clear the check engine light on my Monster 1200 and my previous Panigale. Haven't tried it on my Multi yet but can't see why it wouldn't work. I'll give it a go once I finish the tasks on my todo list which are changing brake / clutch fluids, replacing the front tire and cleaning the brake calipers and disk bobbins.

#3 DarR, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. The guys are correct in that JPdiag is all that is available for the DVT models, but in reality it isn't that useful, service light resets cant be done and many of the functions that look as if they should work on some bikes, don't on the DVT. You are really limited what can be done.

Aside from the OEM kit though, there are no options to adjust/reset until a genius cracks the ECU coding.

5. Although you can't reset the service due indicator, you can still read and reset all error codes. Saves a lot of time when fault finding. Still a win in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Can you carry out functions such as enabling the fog lamps

7. Look at the beginners guide thread on jpdiag forum. It mentions what to buy.

I got the following

Screenshot_20200308-141821_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200308-141750_eBay.jpg

8. Yes, agreed - its free except for the cost of the leads so certainly worth having. Maybe in time the full capabilities will be unlocked, although given the DVT has been out for 5 years now, I am not sure it will :(

I have not seen that facility in the menus, so I dont think it is doable. I stand to be corrected mind

9. #10 DarR, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  10. Make sure the ELM327 USB Cable OBD2 is genuine and has been confirmed to work. Many on Ebay are Chinese bootleg where their cables contains a counterfeit "Prolific" chip that uses the same Vendor ID. Consequently, Prolific modified their newest drivers in Windows to render the counterfeit adapters unusable. As a result, any Windows OS drivers newer than the ones in XP will result in a "Code 10 error".

11. ok will the software and those leads work with my 65 plate bosch unit (I'll try and cancel the ebay ones and order the above)

edit: bugger can't cancel the ebay ones, I'll try them and if they are no good send back and order the other ones.

12. Welcome to the club. That's how I found out about the bootleg ELM's.
    As previously mentioned, I have not attached my cable to my 2018 1260 DVT yet.
    I can only confirm that the Lonelec cable set does work with the Melcodiag software and to the 2016 Monster 1200 and 2016 Panigale ECU which are different from the DVT's ECU.

P.s. I'm not familiar with the 65 plate system.

13. its only £26 in the grand Ducati maintenance scheme a mere drop in the ocean :joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Do we definitely know that this works on a 1260? I might be interested.

15. The cable interface will definitely connect to the 1260's DDA port. However....it's the software???
    I'll let others chime-in about the Melcodiag software as I only have a JPdiag license for the Monster and the Panigale. I have not yet requested a license for my 1260.

Although the Melcodiag software GUI has many functionalities, they are limited on the newer Ducati models. I was only able to read and clear the error code and CE light on my other bikes.
    For me, just that is worth the small cost of the cables.
    What would be really nice is to reset the service clock and the oil change which I have not yet been able to do.

#17 DarR, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  16. My copy for a Multi DVT (15 plate) is registered with JP, and same as above. The basic functions are there, but def no service reset or any enabling/disabling facility. I would rather have it than not mind, its better than nothing at all. At least fault codes can be read if they are there

17. if you have deep pockets, the TEXA diagnostic units will read and clear reminders on the DVT models, I'm led to believe they supply the OEM units for Ducati
    ITRO £2K tho.....:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snap on have a motorcycle diagnostic in the US it’s only been over here as a beta version. I keep asking for more information but never hear anything back because my snap on dealer is a dick

Do Not Sell My Personal Information