1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Confused With Range

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by doughnut, Jul 10, 2021.

1. So, these tanks are 20litres or thereabouts. I'm looking for other folks' views as to how much tank is left when the computer shows 0 miles.

I've just done 215 miles, half motorway, half A/B roads with overtaking. On refill, it took 17.22 litres. If that's true, this bike is safe for 220 and would push 250 on a run, being a bit light on the throttle.

Bike has an upmap and full termi.

What do you reckon?

2. Strap a gallon of petrol to the back of your bike and test it to when you run out :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If you got over 200 miles on a 20l tank, that must have been a real slow ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. It wasn't fast, no, because I knew it was going to be a 215 mile run but I didn't expect it to only take 17l.

Thanks for the ideas, think you're right, I'll buy a gallon green tub and take it for a spin

5. I’m not sure many quoted tank capacities are that accurate.

6. I work on the basis that to be on the safe side, I expect 10 miles per litre, which occurs on a regular basis, no matter how 'spirited' or not the ride is. So, on a 20 litre tank, around 200 miles is a safe bet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I never go by instrument display, always reset trip counter & judge how much speedy/steady riding I've been doing (my range 380miles).

As stated, filled extra fuel container on-board. Run the bike down to empty & note the trip-range & reset. You'll know how much range you have if you ride in one mode or another; cruising/hooning

#7 GunZenBomZ, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  8. I can confidently say that even when it’s showing 0 range (or even lower) you still have about 1-2 litres left.
    (I know I’ve done this)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I quite often run down the range to zero then do a few more miles to get to a petrol station and usually fill up with 18 litres or a bit less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I must have had duff ones. Mine never did more than about 140 without the light on and 180 empty

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. ===

#11 Duncan*, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  12. Oh yeah I especially don't trust the flashing red-fuel blinking indicator. I've gotten 5-12miles when I see that cruising at 50mph. My second trip setting is used when the initial orange warning come on's. Bikes now five years old & had one fuel sender changed in warranty period.

13. My 2012, Multistrada 1200 routinely returns 8 miles per litre. The fuel light comes on anywhere between upper 90’s to 110 miles and is running on fumes by 160 miles. It doesn’t bother me being the first to fill up and strangely, most of my riding companions who claim astronomical mileages from their tanks, take the opportunity to fill up as well :joy: Andy

14. I got caught out last year in France. Turned onto a dual carriageway with a predicted range of 7 miles, but there were no exits for over 25, so it was showing zero for a butt clenching amount of time. Finally found a petrol station and got 19.99 litres in, which was far too close for comfort!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information