1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering A Multi .

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by KTMKenny, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Hi. I commute 50 miles a day on a r1200gs. Everyday, every season. TBH the bike is a trooper .

I rented out a new Multistrada 1000 last year in Nice for a blast around the alps and it sort of has me hooked. Way more fun that the beemer.

Its been playing on my mind to change. I really loved the engine.

But is the Multi able to handle the salty wet winter roads and stay reliable? Or at least reliable as a GS?
    I would be considering something around 7 or 8 years old. Or about 8000 quid.

#1 KTMKenny, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Multistrada 1200 water-cooled is a completely different bike from the 1000 cc air-cooled. A lot more power, and a lot more electronics. Try one before you buy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sorry. It was a new 950 not 1000cc

4. Go for a 1200 DVT plenty of good ones around at reasonable prices if you buy a 950 you'll always wish you'd bought the full fat real thing

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I don't commute but I just made the change from a 2009 single cam R1200GS to a 2015 Multistrada 1200 DVT. The Multi is a great bike but IMO the GS was a bike I could take more liberties on and it was definitely better screwed together. If I was using the bike every day and had to depend upon it then I'd choose the GS, mostly because of shaft drive TBH.

Pros and cons, and the Multistrada is a great bike. I perhaps will be more hooked after a couple of touring trips this year, it's certainly comfortable one up and two up but my main misgiving is the light front end and weaving under hard acceleration. I'm hoping to dial that out with suspension settings, tyre pressures or screen / riser tweaks.

6. Welcome Dave

7. Lots of ACF and its no worse than any other.

8. My Dvt was perfect when I lived in Galway. Especially battering it up and down the WAW :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I owned an 11 plate MTS1200ST and part ex'd it at 28,000 for a GS1200LC on a 13 plate. That has now done 32,000 mls. Both bikes are good 2 up with luggage for going touring and also good for solo spirited riding. BMW cheaper to run if you get it dealer serviced. It's down to personal preference. I enjoyed the Mutley but got fed up with all the issues, which have all been covered on this forum. Saying that my BMW broke down twice in the first week of ownership.
    Conclusion: Buy what makes you smile:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Are they easy to service at home?

Trying to convince the wife to keep the GS as a winter hack . And the multi as a summer bike. That's not going well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. That sounds like a great idea !!!!

12. If she's a practical woman she'll understand that keeping the Multi for summer will be cheaper in the long run than allowing it to fall into salt-induced horrors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Welcome and enjoy the forum

14. Get it do it so it do it :)

Welcome into our mad house

Don’t forget ya bins

15. A good bike garage (DEALER) will be your friend with this bike, in common with nearly all modern bikes, most major stuff will be by them.
    Most of the basics, like chain adjust etc are easy.
    Note only the dealers can rest service lights

16. I believe a GS911 diagnostic device can read/reset dash lights/icons for BMW bikes like the GS1200.

17. Welcome to the forum. :)

18. Just be prepared for the running costs, if your doing 250 miles a week the milage will add up rapid. Desmo service in Rosso Ducati will be upwards €900, plus the minor services.
    Take a look at the service schedule on whatever model your going to buy. Like someone else mentioned only a dealer can reset service codes although Robbie in Mottechnic has the diagnostics for Multistrada up to 2012.
    Once your prepared for the shocks a modern bike costs to maintain you'll love em. I'm on my second and scheming for the newer model!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information