1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Maybe she’s got an aircon/radiator fetish?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. We've just seen some "new builds" literally round the corner from where we've just moved to. You could just about get something at the top end of your budget on this development.........and they're not that much bigger or swankier than what we've bought for nowhere near that price.

The world has gone mad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You mean you want to kick the wife out to the shed and keep the bikes indoors? :eyes:

4. I'd never buy a new build.
    Yesterday I did an install in a £1,300,000 penthouse in Hoxton (Wenlock Road), just up from Old Street, City of London.
    I wouldn't want to give you £300K for it.... the build quality is laughable... so long as you didn't buy it.
    In the last 20+ years I've not seen one well made new house, unless they built it themselves.
    Either go for an old house or at least just after the war...... the best houses that were built in 1950-1970's; and these are council houses IMHO.

#567 AirCon, May 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have to say that the build quality of ours is pretty good. We've had a handful of snagging issues (if that), and non of them remotely technically problematical, purely aesthetic.

Added to which the internal design makes everything work easily. It's hard to explain in a few sentences on line but having had the past 16 years of a unique, one off build/quirky house, which everyone who ever saw it loved, we are really appreciating the difference our new house makes. And it's way better insulated and warmer without having the heating on nowhere near as much as we would have done in the old house.

I appreciate that new houses aren't everyone's cup of tea but we'd had enough of "quirk" after 16 years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You are very lucky and I'm sure they can't all be as bad as the ones we've worked on..... surely!
    I really like the ones that builders make for themselves.....
    Always seem to have internal brick walls...... and NEVER use SIPS panels..... funny that.

7. Loved this post, read pretty much all of it.
    I'm now learning what a SIPS panel is and feeling smug as i sit in my 1959 house.
    Oh, and I nearly forgot, just stuck another day off the calendar - 18 more working days to go until I finish on 31st May at 58.
    Cannot wait.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. Now 'retired'. Over the past 2 weeks I have:
    Taken down a 8x6x7' shed (alone) and taken it to the tip.......in a Citroen C1 (god bless chainsaws :upyeah:).
    Picked up the Panigale after having the exhaust muffler replaced under warranty and had a good couple of blasts.
    Serviced aforementioned Citroen C1
    Started training the new Springer puppy whilst trying to contain the 9 month old Springers natural enthusiasm
    Had several forays out on my Z which I can thrash without going silly fast, unlike the Duc.
    Arranged a hook up with mates in London back end of the month (need to save up for that one - will be liquid).
    Late night trip down to the south coast to see mum and dad after mum had a small stroke (she is fine thank god).
    Been out for a posh meal with the Mrs and talked about the 'future'. Said posh meal involved pub before and after so also had a banging head next morning. Not good with puppies.
    Bought a couple of Nest cameras to fit as two doors up had two cars nicked on Sunday, added to the one that was nicked 50 yards further up the same day. Waiting for the rain to stop before fitting these.
    Installed a new garage alarm.
    Avoided speaking to anyone in old work despite wanting to find out whats going on (its hard to detach I find).
    Got seriously bored with the bad weather - but its becoming a challenge to do things when there is a break in the rain. But managed to totally avoid daytime tv.
    Plus the usual stuff we all do all of the time (3 kids keeps you on your toes).
    In odd moments I worry about the winter months but SWMBO says I can decorate then - cheers!
    So far so good then.
    Richard

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. Arghhhh.... not such a good area then...:yum :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. a nightingale sang there once.......

11. Nah mate, that was in the Smoke, the square.

12. You can see the crack repair above the bay but that may just be the bay was put in later and the crack is historic settlement on the mortar line. Next door on the other hand seems to have had shed load of repointing so I'd be asking why, given the two join. google maps has the building to the right shrouded in scaffolding so this would tie in

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. If your paying all that money - why would you want a house on a street... with traffic and people walking past your window...

You can get plenty of detached houses in land for that sort of money or less...

Plus listed building....

Why not buy ground and build a new one to your standard and specification... that way no worries about repair for the next 15 to 20 years..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information