1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. I mean from my career job - I still have the business which takes one or two hours a day - but I won't be tied to the house having bought the van - all I need it internet and a post office once a day for that :) could even push into Europe for trips and post orders still if needed. I also have many slow burning projects :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I can be bad too and I can ride a ducati :D

• Love You Love You x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  3. It's called internet dating, don't try and big it up!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Weird. Currently going through the same thought process.

Just turned 57, pay off the mortgage by 60, going through pension assessment to see what sort of lump sum and income I can access....if all goes well, I’ll jack it in at 60.......or 62 to balance out with Mrs GH.

Just need to get both kids independent (one working, one nearing end of 2nd year uni) and then work out how to downsize and potentially move somewhere rural (I fancy argyle......or Northern Spain, Mrs GH prefers Northumberland coast......see an argument coming on this).

5. Been doing a few visits Devon but mostly Somerset in the last couple of years, i have found a few places we like, Street, Langport, Dunster, Porlock to name a few but there is many more,
    House prices are so much cheaper then in Essex but need to do more research for my work trade rates and areas etc.
    Aircon, if you can do it then do so, I've still got a 22 and 25 year old at home so that makes for a lot of thinking, best of luck with your decision :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. now you have done it, they will line up in groups of 10 by your front door.....................

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Two abreast..... "step away from the keyboard Paul"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I was going to do it 3 years ago.....My disabled bro (car took his leg in a Multistrada vs car accident) works with me.... this is why I've not done it before..... decisions, decisions, decisions.

#48 AirCon, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2018
  9. retire early? just finishing on time would be nice

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mmmm, told you before I quit that game ages ago - it's a mine field out there o_O

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. You merely attend, there is a difference :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. yip, we all have our rolls in life.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. All joking aside AC, my old man left the oil game when he was 53, he's now 76 and his biggest advice is, make sure you have plenty to do. All the time in the world is not as great as you think if you're bored, as quite often my old man gets. Currently, we get 225 days a year off and even that can get dreary at this time of year. I've only 5 years work left but have plenty to keep busy currently, but everyday of the year?? Anyhoo this was my dad's biggest advice. All the wedge in the world won't count if you're bored. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. hmmm my reply seems buried, cold fingers I think

17. [​IMG]

18. His post.

I would would move a bit more towards the welsh border, the Hereford roads are in a terrible state, so getting from Ross to the Powys roads will attack your kidneys for 45 minutes, I live just outside Hay on Wye, lovely little town, lots to do, right on the border, so straight onto the best roads of mid wales, very affluent area, enough work for your skills if you want to do a few days work, English not Welsh spoken area, lots of small hamlets with just a pub and a church too if you don't fancy town, or even no neighbours at all, just sheep is a possibility if you wish, plenty for sale, I do know of a stunning barn conversion in a great position, sadly owner past away before he could move in, his wife is now selling it, but not advertised widely, pm me if you want details, no I am not on commission, but one of your mutleys would be nice lol

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. And think. . . .Where's the rest of it?? :p

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information