1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental Roadattack 3

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by killjoy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Thought I'd write my thoughts about these that I had on my 939 SP.

When the standard SuperCorsa SP's had been burned onto the cords at the back (shouldn't have tried to back it into corners on nearly dead tyres!)

Called my local tyre fitter for a replacement pair, got into a discussion about what I'm using it for etc. (Basically he probably had a load of these to sell but ah well!) and he recommended the RA3's. No scrubbing in period, good for cold weather use, quick warmup etc.

£260 fitted for both. Good points, great wear, quick warmup, good bite, and very confidence instilling, even in cold and damp conditions! Bad points, it may have just been me but I felt like initial turn in was a little bit softer than the old SuperCorsas. I'd highly recommend them though, with the SuperCorsa wearing to cords within 1500 miles, the RA3's seemed to wear really well.

Overall I'd definitely buy them again, and I'll probably replace the new SP's tyres with them when the time comes! The SuperCorsas are great tyres, but unless it's beautiful sun and hot outside, and you're on it from the second you start the bike, maybe a bit too extreme for pure road riding in all conditions?

Tl;dr, Continental RoadAttack 3's are great, and you should swap them if you ride in all conditions spiritedly. 8/10

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. No scrub in period, wow I'd not trust that advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I didn't at first. However, after the first corner, you believe it!

4. Good information thanks. I will definitely be swapping my SuperCorsa's out for these at my first service.

5. You won’t be upset. Great tyres mate, couldn’t recommend them enough. Maybe if I was doing track work I would’ve stuck to another set of SuperCorsas.

6. I had the Trail Attacks fitted to my R1150GSA. Got them fitted at strathearn tyres in Crieff. They were scrubbed edge to edge in rain by the time I got to the Green Welly at Tyndrum. That was my 3rd set on the GS, good wear, feel and feedback from them. I'll try them on the MTS Enduro next, see how they handle a bit more power than the GS.

7. I run Contis on all my bikes as do many of my customers. Road Attack are a great all rounder, Sport Attack would be a good choice if you want a bit more grip, but remain a good everyday tyre. I run Race Attack Endurance on the 899. Really like those :) Good value to.
    The lack of scrubbing in is for real. They do get better with a few miles on them, no doubt, but from the get go you can use them.

8. Don't need scrubbing in due to the way they are made. Not covered in a release agent from what i understand.

9. Got them on my GS. I seem to be fairly hard on tyres but these are keeping shape great. Even after lads Alps trip, then boring two up from NEast to Correze France. Then plus another thousand mile down here on new roads. So, 4k plus now.
    I found they could get greasy on hot tarmac and with more power (1290gt) but that was pushing hard.
    Great in the wet.

10. A question for you Conti fans ......

My ST4s seems to kill front tyre profile in very short order ..... so far I've tried it on T30 Evos (fitted plus about 2.5 k miles when I bought the bike and already making the turn-in horrid), PR2s (cured the steering completely ... lovely, I thought, my favorite cheap tyre suits this bike very well .... then back to horrid after maybe 3k miles) followed by Metz Roadtech Z8s ( see PR2 above except add slidey about in the wet)

So .... do we think RA3, or even SA3, might keep thier profile for a little longer .... maybe even get to near the wear bars before I have to replace them?

I think the problem is that the fronts develop a step just off the centre so that the bars want to turn into the corner (if you see what I mean) as the turn commences. This becomes a big issue for me 'coss I use a lot of counter steer and thus end up really fighting the bike (it wants the bars to go one way as I want to turn them the other) on both turn-in and further through the turn under some circumstances.

11. Im in the Uk at the moment and just bought a rear (£130 delivered so good value) to take back with me for the GS. Rear is on wear bars and finished, front still good profile with even wear so will run that a while longer...Lost track a bit but think around 4500miles. Very good for me on any bike.
    @ indiecourier , they might work for you, they kept shape on a KTM 1290gt also..

12. Picture after 1st fastish run in Germany 2017, very hot tarmac and 1290 KTM. (They were fantastic in the wet, though they felt as though they were starting to slide a tiny bit when this picture was taken, but had an Airhawk seat on the bike, which also makes it feel like your sliding so not 100% sure..)

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 11.04.11.png

13. Well, just fitted a pair of RA3s to the ST4 .... not tried 'em out yet though as the bike's nice and shiney and the roads are nice and salty!

Anyway, here's my next question ....... tyre pressures please?

Gone cross eyed looking at the Continental web site and can't find a pressure chart anywhere!

14. Stick with Ducati pressures. 32psi front, 36 rear

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Well, 60 odd miles last Saturday and I'm happy with the RA3s.

As per Nelly's advice stuck in 32 & 36 ...... feels fine.

Quick pint up near Raglan loosened me up enough to try ignoring the slimey surface on the back roads and I was actually very impressed with the grip afforded. Poor old bike might get ridden in the wet again at this rate.

Just hope they keep thier profile a bit longer than previous tyres. Time will tell.

Thanks very much to you all for your wisdom.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Enjoy, just had my new Conti fitted to the back of the tractor today. Nice little ride out in the sunshine. Blessing here is the lack of salt!:upyeah:

17. Well, couldnt put my finger on it but the handling isnt feeling great on my GS. Closer inspection shows the front tyre is well worn and a bit flattened. Thinking about it though the front must have been on for around 7k...hmm. Methinks its time for a new tyre.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information