1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Coolant - Alternative To Agip?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MotoNik, May 9, 2018.

1. Hi Folks,

I need to replace my coolant (last lot came out due to some unplanned remodelling of my radiator). The stock coolant is Agip/Eni Protection Spezial, which is a pink OAT glycol. Is anyone knowledgeable on such things - can I mix it with other pink OAT glycol coolants? I've looked at picking up some Mobil coolant in Halfords, because it's in stock nearby, and I can't easily get to a Ducati dealer.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/mobil-advanced-coolant-oat-1-litre

Only concern would be that it states you're supposed to water it down, whereas the Agip stuff is meant to be used neat.

Can anyone knowledgeable advise, please?

Also, does anyone know what the coolant capacity is? I'm thinking it's probably 2-3 litres.

Thanks in advance!

2. Info about Agip Permanent Spezial here and here. It seems it is a pre-mixed OAT coolant that was originally developed for motorcycles. I don't see why any other equivalent OAT coolant can't be used. If it is a concentrate it should be diluted to the correct amount.
    And the capacity is about 2 litres, maybe a touch more.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for the info, that's really appreciated! :upyeah:

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  4. image.jpeg This is what I have just used, recommend by Nelly from cornerspeed

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thank you Sir!

6. Just to close this one off, I ended up contacting the UK ENI distributor. They sell Permanent Spezial and Bike S coolant, the latter being their more recent product. They confirmed that essentially the two products are the same thing, and that I can use either. This is handy because Permanent Spezial is £10 a litre and Bike S is £5 a litre.

https://www.motoworlduk.co.uk/acatalog/Products_Antifreeze_Bike_S_118.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Did you need to dilute this or did you use it neat?

Also what colour is it?

How much did you need for your bike?

Thanks

8. It's pink - exactly the same as the original stuff that was in there. It's also compatible with the original stuff, so you don't have to drain the coolant.

I used it neat.

I think I bought something like 4 litres and only ending up using about 2. Presumably there was still quite a bit in the engine, so I was mainly just re-filling the radiator. I am fairly sure the total content of the cooling system is about 3.5 litres, but that might not be correct.

9. Thanks I ordered some from the place in the link.

I’m doing the monster too as it’s 3 in March too (even though it’s only done 500 miles!) I’ve ordered the DP coolant hoses anyway so excuse to change it.

I got 5l for doing both bikes £45 posted which I don’t think is too bad.

10. I ended up ordering more than I needed - I figured it was best to have too much, and the price was so reasonable.

Re-filling the radiator takes FOREVER! You have to wait for it to trickle down through the cooling slots. I've not drained the entire system, so I don't know if there is a procedure for bleeding or "burping" air out. I basically filled the radiator and slightly topped up the reservoir, then ran the engine until the fan came on. Let it cool down, and then checked the reservoir level and radiator - both were fine. I've since done 1000+ miles, and it's been fine.

11. You''ll be fine. The cooling system is self bleeding. Fill up the radiator with the bike on the side stand taking your time for the coolant to find its way down, then top up the reservoir after you've refitted the radiator cap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I usually suck all the fluid out the expansion tank and fill with new coolant and fill the radiator then run the bike with the cap off and top up as Required and then put the cap back on and run it again till fan kicks in then let it cool and check the level and any excess comes out of the overflow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I forgot to mention that bit ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information