1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Cooling System Hose Required To Change

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rover, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hi folks,

I have just received an email from Ducati Service (Bologna) saying that I need to take my bike to a dealer to replace a water hose from the cooling system. It was detected that the hose can split and cause coolant fluid to leak. Service is free of charge.
    It sounds like a recall, apart from it is not considered safety matters.

And the email came too late for me, anyway, because I had this issue 1 month after buying the bike, the hose split, I was on motorway on Sunday afternoon and left with a smokey bike in the hard shoulder. The dealer replaced in warranty, but I will take this email to then, to make sure we are talking about the same hose.

Has anyone have the same message?

2. Yes - same message May 2017 bike

3. I'm sorry, just saw there is a thread already started about recall. Despite my email received does not state as a recall. Though recalls are only regards to safety.

4. Yes, got the email yesterday (Thurs 16th). It states it is "preventative service". 2015 DVT. Call it what you want but I call it good service.

5. I received email from Ducati yesterday:-

we would like to inform you that your Multistrada 1200 in need of preventative service.

This service involves replacement of the water hose within the engine’s cooling system. This service is precautionary; it is intended to prevent potential damage to the hose and subsequent coolant leakage, under certain usage conditions of the vehicle.
    This service is completely free of charge; as such we ask that you schedule a service appointment with your trusted Ducati Service Center soon. At this same service visit, your Ducati Service Center will also check for other necessary service updates that might be pending on your motorcycle. This ensures we maintain your motorcycle within Ducati’s optimal performance specifications.

6. I have just 10 mins ago, received this exact email for my Aug 16 bike.

7. I'm starting to get jealous now, everybody bragging about their recall, I'm beginning to feel left out :(

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Phoned to book mine today. Turns out im also getting a free new fixing for a plastic part ive never seen

9. Its clearly a Wales thing @broke , while the civilised world got emails....Yours is on the way.....

pigeon-carrier-eps-vector_csp3280078.jpg

#10 Wayne58, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 2016 March DVT, got my email yesterday. Booked in to be done in 2 weeks time. I agree, it’s good service as a preventative measure. Done 10K so far without a problem on the cooling system, so peace of mind to get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  11. My dealer said he'd been inundated with calls all morning. He can't understand why Ducati didn't stagger the announcement so he could fit everyone in more easily.

12. Can you imagine the flak that Ducati would get if they didn't tell all owners at once, and just one of those that wasn't notified had an issue develop? Also the logistics of notifying owners in separate groups would be too complicated. Easier and ultimately safer for all concerned to inform everybody at the same time.

13. Apparently he said in the past if it's not 'safety critical' they do them in batches. This happened with the coolest change on the older bikes (mine still developed leaky heads!)

14. I hadn't received a notice about the coolant hose issue on my 2017 DVT, but when I contacted the dealer (Snells of Alton) to enquire they told me mine is on the list of affected bikes. So I am arranging to go in and have it fixed. A little ride down to rural Hampshire in December should clear out the cobwebs.
    [Edit: now booked for 30 November]

#15 Pete1950, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. Mine is being done Friday morning at On Yer Bike near Aylesbury good excuse for a ride out as not used it fir a month or so.

16. After a 35 min ride through to SMC Sheffield this morning with 3 degrees temperature , I thought it’s quite chilly sat behind my screen and heated grips on. But not as cold as the ride back on a hire bike KTM 690 duke without heated grips .

Anyway the water hose has been changed. Excellent service from SMC.
    In addition........whilst the bike was out for a test ride they have confirmed the discs are warped.....so another warranty claim from Ducati .

17. The water hose was successfully changed today. The old one is a rubber pipe which is rather thin and soft without reinforcement; I can see how it might easily split. The new pipe is much thicker and stronger with reinforcement fibres in the rubber and a big extra rubber part around the Y-junction. It looks convincing.

At the same time the alloy shroud around the exhaust outlet was replaced - it was marked from contacting the footrest bracket and the pannier. Cost to me - £0.

Bad news though on other issues. The heated grips are not hot enough, which was painfully obvious on a frosty morning, but there is no cure on offer. Also the hill start function only holds for few seconds, then lets go, but there is no available cure for making the brakes hold on longer.

18. Other than using your right foot or fingers ;)

19. Really poor Ducati have a problem with the heated grips on the DVT models, my non DVT grips are really toasty, very rare I need them on high, and if I do its only for a short time

Looks like they have took a backward step here

I wonder if they have resolved the issue on the 1260...??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information