1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Correct Frame Stickers?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by HICKSY#86, Jan 27, 2019.

1. C50B49CA-6AA5-471F-9AE1-7FC334DA1AD7.jpeg Hi.
    I’ve carried out a repaint on the frame of my 98 748BP and I need to know what frame stickers I need. The only sticker that was still on my frame was the one in the attached image. I know I need one on the opposite frame rail but I’ve seen images of stickers for the helmet lock and different warning stickers. Does anyone on here have an original 748Bp from 98 that still has its frame stickers intact who could post me some pics

Thanks in advance

Jon

#1 HICKSY#86, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. I’ve a 99MY 748BP, all original, ill take some close up pics tomorrow and post them. There’s the one you’ve got on the LHS and another with the frame no. on it on the RHS.

3. Thanks Paul. Do you have anything on the subframe near the seat lock? An instruction sticker mentioning the helmet lock? If you have can you take a snap of that too please.

Regards

Jon

4. Will do. IIRC, that sticker is inside, under the seat. My bike was registered June 99 by me but most of the parts on it are datestamped 98.

5. Thanks Paul. My bike has had a tough life. I’m breathing new life into it but it’s important to me that I get the details right. I appreciate your help.

• Like Like x 2
  6. @HICKSY#86 pics attached. I've 2 frame stickers, as per the photos, on the left and right uprights. I've no sticker relating to the helmet lock. I thought I did but I don't. The bike is 100% original so this is how it left the factory. Ignore the corrosion :(, I'm stripping her down at present and treating or replacing all corroded parts. Unfortunately, she had to live outside, under a cover for the last 6 years until Nov last year when I built a garage to put her in. :)

IMG_9948.jpg IMG_9949.jpg IMG_9950.jpg IMG_9952.jpg

7. Still can't believe this bike was outside for 6 years in all weather and is good to go!

#7 TNR, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  8. @PaulPhillips. Thanks for this Paul, really appreciate it.

Your bike looks in great shape considering it’s age and where you’ve had to store it. I’ll post up some pics of my own little mini restoration when it’s complete.

Thank again

Jon

9. Is there anywhere that will reproduce the stickers with correct vin number on them?

10. I know, it's verging on criminal :scream: but whenI moved here there was nowhere to store it other than under a cover outside. Work and travel prevented me from using it :(. The weeks became months became years. The good news is that it didn't take too much to recommission it and get it back on the road. If you've not read it already you can read the full story here.
    At present it's undergoing a full nut & bolt restoration and I'll create a thread about that in due course as well. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Thanks, but I think not. However, in a few weeks it will be pristine again, as close to mint as I can get it. Good luck with yours.

12. EDE62722-8A81-4C55-8F73-0FDFA809C689.jpeg
    I’ve just read your build thread. Great work. I’ve had to do so much of what you’ve done or plan to do. I started with a belt change and valve clearance service but it escalated! Frame painted, sub frame painted, engine cases painted, rockers refaced (£680 ), shim kit from the states, all corroded fasteners swapped for stainless and so on. I’ve really enjoyed it, although it’s still not finished ( shim kit only arrived today!).

I’ll be following your rebuild thread with interest and if I can help with any advice please feel free to contact me. The pic is how far I went with the strip down.

Regards

Jon

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks. D417F7AC-53B6-44E1-AF33-93B27A0F2029.jpeg That’s where I am at the moment, although the forks are out now as well and about to have all seals & bushes replaced and the rear wheels off as well. It’s interesting to see you spray painted the frame with the engine still in situ.

14. Having gone that far I'm surprised you didn't drop the engine, three bolts and throttle bodies removed and it's out, would have made the valve shimming much easier.
    Steve

15. I did consider removing the engine, but with all the ancillaries removed I was able to access everywhere I needed to paint. With some carefull masking I believe I’ve done a very decent job. I rebuilt the forks last summer so I didn’t need to drop them out again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi Steve. With the exhaust removed the access to the valve windows is fine. Hassle v hassle it was a no brainer to leave the engine in.

17. I would not be surprised if the swing arm spindle is rotted in there solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. @doogalman. I’ve not tried to remove it. Maybe I’ll give it a go whilst the bike is off the road.

19. It's a well known problem, I've mentioned this before that I remove mine and grease it every year at service.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. On the same theme, does anyone know where I can get new stickers for a 916? My right hand side sticker is on a different tube to my 748

Do Not Sell My Personal Information