1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct Oil For Ss: 10w/40 Or 20w/50?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Really sorry for asking such a basic question, I'm about to do an oil change and always used 10w40 semi in the past, but I've just found an old article about the SS in which John Baines says it's best to use 20w50 in these bikes? What's the consensus?

Also, before draining oil is it best to run up to temp first, or ok just to drain at ambient temps (currently 15 degrees)?

Thanks in advance

2. Motel 300v 15w/50 fully synthetic double ester. The double ester oil adheres to the metal surfaces so there is always lubricant where it needs to be on cold start. Andy

3. I haven't put 20W-50 into a bike engine since I stopped using Castrol GTX, decades ago.

My SSie handbook says "Viscosity 20W-50; other viscosities can be used if the average temperature is within the limits indicated" and shows a table with various oil types and temperature ranges. Either 10W-40 or 20W-50 can be used up to ambient temperatures way in excess of 40 degrees but, interestingly, only down to 0 degrees for 20W-50 in contrast to minus 10 degrees for 10W-40.

OK, they are air cooled engines which can get a bit hot, but they have oil coolers so I find it hard to believe that 10W-40 is going to get too thin under normal use in British weather.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 300v is one of the best oils you can buy imho.

5. 10/40 semi, full can make the clutch slip if you are ragging it a lot IME :)

6. Have always used 10/40 semi synth never had a problem .

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shell Advance 10/40 fully synth.
    £45inc pp for 2x4ltrs from ebay.

8. The SS engine has a dry clutch so is not affected by which oil is used, Nelly swears by Motul 20/50 fully synthetic, he's the expert so I'm happy to have that brand/grade in my 900ss, when draining the oil the engine should be run up to normal operating temperature before draining.

9. I've only had a 600 :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Both viscosity will be ok,drain with hot oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. If we are talking a standard 900SS here then theres various thoughts on oil, just search on Google and theres all sorts of opinions on the best oil to use. What I would say is that the minimum standard I would use is Semi Synthetic on a standard, however, the more modded the engine the better oil I would use. I personally use Rock oil in mine, which has high comps, Keihins, full Sil system, Ignitech, CA coils and a lightened flywheel. Its been Semi Synthetic but now Im going to full. Ive heard many recommend Motul as above and have used it in my ST4S so thats maybe another I would go for. As regards the viscosity, here in Scotland its cold most of the year so I wouldnt got down to a 10/40. So it depends on your bikes state of tune and where you live imho. Remember these bikes are not performance machines as standard so would not need a thin high tech oil, plus as the higher miles go on a 20 year old machine they benefit from a thicker oil as it wears.

Im not an expert, this is just what I think after years of hearing this kinda discussion in various forums.

12. The original oil specified in my owners manual is AGIP Super Racing or AGIP SINT 2000 - I found a picture of SINT...

[​IMG]

This is what I use - I can walk to the factory from my house and it costs £10.50 for four litres. Apparently the API grade is the one to look out for (SL). Anything later in the alphabet should be OK, but not earlier - so SM is probably OK.

The JASO MA is for wet clutch, so irrelevant for some of us.

[​IMG]

#12 wolfram, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. I used Silkolene Pro 4 10/40 - semi-synth supposedly (but the rep inferred it was fully synth) - Wet clutch 750SS.

No problems with it.

14. have been using rock oil guardian 10/40 semi synth
    not had any problems so far that's for a 750 ie with wet clutch

15. Have just stuck 4 litres of 15/50 Mobil1 Racing 4T in the 999.
    30 quid with a Halfords trade card from this forum.
    Bargain!

• Like Like x 1
  16. +1 on the Shell advance

Do Not Sell My Personal Information